There are many simple ways to protect yourself from falling. But even if you take all precautions, accidents can still happen. If you or someone you know falls down, don’t panic. Just follow these guidelines.
- Remain still for a moment to help you overcome the shock of falling.
- Decide if you’ve been hurt. (Getting up too quickly or doing it the wrong way could exacerbate an injury.)
- If you think you can rise safely, roll onto one side. Rest there for a moment while your blood pressure adjusts.
- Slowly crawl on your hands and knees to a chair. Put one foot up, flat on the floor while keeping the other leg bent, with knee on the floor. From this kneeling position, slowly rise and sit in the chair.
- Make sure to tell your doctor about the details of the fall (when, where, how) so she can address any medical needs and help prevent future falls.
Share this article: