3. CHOOSE: Select Your Advocate
How to Select Your Healthcare Agent
Selecting a health care agent who can speak for you if you are unable to speak for yourself means having a conversation about what matters to you and ensuring that the person you choose is willing to speak on your behalf.
Some things you may want to consider when selecting an agent:
Download: Choosing a health care agent
- An agent must be 18 years or older.
- Does this person understand your goals, values and beliefs?
- Is he or she comfortable acting on your behalf? This may include asking your care team questions related to treatment options.
- Can he or she make decisions that you would make regarding your health care, even if it is difficult and others don’t agree?
- Remember, you may not select your health care provider or their employees to be your agent unless this person is your spouse or close relative