Medical Records from Mission Hospitals
Birth certificate requests
Birth certificates are obtained through the County of Orange. When you have a baby at Mission Hospital, you are asked to complete a form that is sent by Health Information Services (Medical Records) to the County of Orange. The county will then forward the appropriate information to the Social Security Administration who automatically mails a copy of the Social Security card to you as the parent.
For more information on how to obtain a birth certificate, please visit the Orange County Clerk-Recorder website.
Medical records requests
Health Information Management (HIM) is located in Orange at St. Joseph Hospital, there is no longer an office located at Mission Hospital. Patients, or their legal representative, may inspect, obtain copies of or have copies of their Mission Hospital medical records sent to another medical facility.
Mission Hospital is required under the State of California's Confidentiality of Medical Information Act to obtain an original, complete and properly executed Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information form before the hospital may provide a copy of a patient's records to anyone, including the patient. In certain cases, a patient's physician, psychologist or social worker may also be required to approve a request.
How to access your medical records online
You can now access and download your health information from you latest hospital stay online through the FollowMyHealth patient portal.
How to inspect or request a copy of your medical records
Print and complete the Authorization for Disclosure of Health Information form
In completing the authorization form:
- Indicate the dates of treatment for which you are requesting information. This is particularly important for individuals that have had multiple episodes of care at Mission Viejo or Laguna Beach.
- Indicate the type of records needed
- Radiology images (CD)
- Requests must specifically be initialed if requesting information regarding AIDS/HIV, Psychiatric Care or Alcohol/Drug Abuse
Information from your medical record
If you are not sure what information you need from your records, please contact us at 714-771-8167.
Submitting a request
Once the authorization form has been completed the request can be submitted by one of the following methods.
Mail/fax form to:
Health Information Management
Release of Information
St. Joseph Hospital Orange
1100 West Stewart Dr.,
Orange, CA 92868
Attn: Release of Information
Other important information about inspecting or requesting a copy of your medical records
You may only inspect records within the Health Information Management at St. Joseph Hospital in Orange and there may be a retrieval charge. There may be a reproduction charge for creating a copy of your records. Call the Release of Information Office at 714-771-8167 for information regarding fee schedules.
- Mailing Medical Records - If the medical record is being mailed to you, then you will also be charged for mailing costs.
- Reproduction Charges - If the reproduction charges are greater than $100, then pre-payment will be required before your records can be mailed. There is a $5 charge for a CD.
- Sending Records Directly to Another Medical Facility or Office - All fees will be waived if you are requesting your records be sent directly to another medical facility or medical office.
- Processing Time - Please allow 5 - 10 working days for your request to be processed. You will be contacted by the Health Information Management office when your records are ready for pick-up or mailing.
- Picking Up Your Requested Medical Records - If you plan to come to the Health Information Management office in Orange to pick up your request, you must bring a photo ID.
- Someone Else is Picking Up Your Requested Medical Records - If an individual other than the patient is picking up a request, then that individual will need an original signed authorization letter from the patient and a photo ID.