Compassion in action
The volunteers at Providence Little Company of Mary Torrance make up a core group of individuals that are vital in helping us carry out our mission and commitment to serving our patients and community. Altogether we have over 800 volunteers including adults and high school students. Whether our volunteers are working in the gift shop, information desk, recovery room, or delivering flowers – helping others in their healing process is a very satisfying and inspiring experience.
In exchange for your time and talents, you will reap the rewards of providing compassionate care to those in need.
Volunteers are a vital part of our ministry, helping us serve patients and our community. In exchange for your time and talents, you will reap the rewards of providing compassionate care to those in need.
If you join our team, you will:
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Provide compassion and support to patients and loved ones
- Help us improve the hospital experience for patients
- Develop new skills
- Become part of a team
- Enjoy cafeteria and gift shop discounts
- Free self and valet parking
- Opportunity to attend Auxiliary luncheons and Annual Awards event
One of the most important reasons for becoming a Providence Little Company of Mary Volunteer is to make a positive impact on the community.
We are proud to offer our volunteers a unique and diverse experience. We have many rewarding volunteer opportunities working with patients, helping families and visitors, and assisting hospital staff. Examples include:
- Provide information and directions to visitors, patients and staff
- Greet visitors and escort patients
- Serve in our surgery and recovery areas
- Deliver flowers and mail to patients
- Assist customers in the Auxiliary Gift Shop
- Support Public Safety officers
- Perform general office duties
- Help staff with special projects
We cannot guarantee assignments, but we attempt to place volunteers in assignments that will make the best use of their talents, based on the needs of the hospital.
How Do I Become a Volunteer?
If you can commit to our requirements, we invite you to complete our online application. (Adult Program only)
Please be sure you are able to meet the requirements before submitting your application for consideration. The application process does not guarantee placement into our program. We screen applicants based on skills, potential fit and availability. After we receive your application, we will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been selected.
Thank you for your interest in applying to our program. Because volunteers are a vital part of our team, we have some requirements. Placement in a volunteer assignment is based on volunteer’s availability, skills and suitability as well as current openings and hospital needs. Volunteer placement is not guaranteed.
Before applying to our program, be sure you can commit to the following expectations:
- Must be at least 18 years old and out of High School
- Commit to serve as a volunteer for one year, fulfilling an assigned four-hour shift each week.
- Commit to a serving a minimum of 100 hours
- Attend a mandatory 4 hour orientation
- Pass a TB blood test provided by Providence
- Complete flu shot compliance during influenza season (per CDPH requirements)
- Pass a criminal background check provided by Providence
- Complete 12 hours of training (three 4-hour training sessions)
- Able to provide their own uniform (white pants, white shirt and white shoes)
- Purchase a Providence volunteer jacket
- Join the Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance Volunteer Auxiliary with annual dues of $15 and attend luncheon events
Because our Volunteer Program is focused on volunteer services, it is not considered a step to employment. If you wish to seek employment at Providence Little Company of Mary, please see our current job listings at www.providenceiscalling.jobs.
For 2020, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not accepting new applications at this time. We are evaluating our High School program and may suspend new recruitment until 2021. Please check back periodically for updates.
The High School volunteer program gives students the opportunity to give back to the community and experience what it is like to work in the health care industry.
The Providence Little Company of Mary Torrance High School volunteer program for youths consists of approximately 150 students ranging in age from 15 to 18. These students work evenings and weekends, giving back to the community and experiencing what it is like to work in the health care industry.
The High School volunteer program requires a commitment to a full one-year volunteer position with either a weekly two-hour assigned shift during the weekdays or a four-hour assigned shift on weekends. Applicants must be at least 15 years old. We do not accept applications from students entering the 12th grade.
How do I become a high school volunteer?
We accept online applications for our high school program, once a year in the spring. We will not be accepting in person applications. Online applications will only be reviewed and considered if submitted during the application window (May 1-2).
Please note – due to the high volume of applications we receive and limited space, we will not be able to accept everyone into our program.
Requirements for applying:
- Must be 15 years of age by July 1st
- Not entering the 12th grade
- Commit to a full 1 year volunteer position with a weekly assigned shift:
- Weekdays 5pm-7pm (2-hour shifts)
- Weekends 9am-1pm, 1-5pm or 5-7pm (4-hour shifts)
- Complete and submit the online application between May 1-2.
Instructions for submitting an application:
- Apply via the online link on this page during application period
- Only online applications will be accepted
- Online applications will only be accepted from May 1-2. Exception: For 2020, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not accepting new applications at this time. We are evaluating our High School program and may suspend new recruitment until 2021. Please check back periodically for updates.
For more information about the application process, view the High School Volunteer Program Information Sheet.
All Providence Little Company of Mary adult volunteers are asked to join the Volunteer Auxiliary. Members serve patients, visitors and caregivers through their volunteer services and provide fundraising support to the hospital.
Since 1959, the Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance Auxiliary has raised funds through special events and sales in the Gift Shop and Thrift Shop to support hospital services and programs.
Since the Providence Little Company of Mary Foundation began keeping records in 1971, the auxiliary has raised more than $4.5 million for the medical center.
2020 Auxiliary Board
Honorary President- Sister Terrence Landini, LCM
President- Lou Knox
President-Elect - Cheryl Nakagawa
Secretary - Sue Coppock
Treasurer - Lynne Meehan
Membership Chair - Jennie Valdez
Membership Recorder- Barbara Pasterino
Membership Hours- Sue Shepard
Board Member at Large - Nick Kozis
Parliamentarian- Eleanor Acore
Ex-Officio- Kathryn Girardi