Gynecologic Oncology Program
Providence St. Joseph Hospital Gynecologic Oncology Program at The Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment in Orange, County provides superior, comprehensive, and patient-centered gynecologic cancer care no matter where you are on your cancer journey.
The Gynecologic Oncology Program includes a team of highly specialized clinicians from several medical specialties who meet on a regular basis to review and discuss breakthrough treatment options and individual patient treatment plans. This team approach to care ensures you receive comprehensive medical treatment incorporating the latest technology and newest cancer therapies.
Our experts are passionate about preventing, diagnosing and treating women with cancers of the ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, vagina and vulva. They routinely engage in community-based programs that promote the importance of early detection through cervical and human papillomavirus (HPV) screenings and vaccinations, and cancer research. Using state-of-the-art technology, our experts treat rare and complex cases, including recurrent disease and therapy-related complication. This pursuit of prevention, early detection and clinical excellence enhances the patient experience and contributes to improved clinical outcomes.
The Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment at St. Joseph Hospital is accredited by the American College of Surgeons, Commission on Cancer. This demonstrates our commitment to providing key quality cancer care to every patient which includes:
- Comprehensive, patient-centered care through a multidisciplinary team approach
- Access to information on clinical trials and new treatment options
- Ongoing monitoring and surveillance and lifelong patient follow-up
- Psychosocial support, wellness, and survivorship care
- Continuous quality improvements in patient care
St. Joseph Hospital’s Gynecologic Oncology Program is led by Krishnansu Tewari, MD, Program Director.
Gynecologic cancers are complicated diseases that may require one or more modalities of treatment including surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and radiation oncology. At Providence St. Joseph Hospital, we incorporate the most current, evidence-based practices into your treatment plan, which is individualized for your specific condition, with approaches that help incorporate mind, body, and spirit. Our teams follow the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines when planning your treatment.
Our comprehensive team of specialists provide treatments ranging from diagnostics and therapy to cutting-edge robotic surgeries. By combining technology and personalized care, our Gynecologic Oncology Program offers the following clinical services:
- Advanced surgical debulking for ovarian cancer
- Radical hysterectomy for cervical cancer
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques using the da Vinci robotic surgical system, which allows us to use smaller incisions
- Radical vulvectomy for vulvar cancer
- Conservative surgery (including laser therapy) for pre-cancerous changes of the cervix, vagina and vulva
- Pediatric surgery for ovarian tumors in children and young adults
- Fertility-preserving surgery for women with early-stage gynecologic cancers who want future child-baring potential
- Highly specialized procedures and techniques to remove cancer in pregnant women
Chemotherapy works to destroy cancer cells that have spread from the original cancer site. Currently, there are more than 100 chemotherapy drugs used most frequently in various combinations.
Our oncology team is highly experienced in selecting the right combination for each patient to increase the percentage of cancer cells destroyed while reducing your chance of resistance to any particular drug and toxicity to any one organ.
- Anti-angiogenesis drugs to prevent tumors from growing blood vessels to support cancer growth
- PARP inhibitors make it difficult for cancer
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for select patients with advanced ovarian cancer to “down grade” the cancer in preparation for surgery.
- Intraperitoneal chemotherapy and heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) for select patients with advanced ovarian cancer allows chemotherapy to be introduced directly into the abdominal cavity
- Hormonal therapy for treatment of some early-stage endometrial cancers among patients who want to preserve fertility
- DigniCap® Scalp Cooling System to minimize hair loss from chemotherapy
Modern radiation therapy using the most advanced systems to deliver effective and highly tolerated radiation for treatment of uterine, cervical, vaginal and vulvar cancers, as well as some ovarian cancers that have metastasized.
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- High-dose rate intracavity brachytherapy
- Stereotactic radiation therapy
Providence St. Joseph Hospital is among Orange County's most active community hospitals that participate in clinical trials. Continued advances in cancer care and prevention are the direct result of participation in clinical trials. National evidence from a wide range of studies suggests that cancer patients diagnosed and treated in a setting of multi-specialty care and clinical research live longer and have a better quality of life.
New treatments and procedures are constantly being developed. We are proud to provide our patients with access to some of the latest trials, many of which are not available elsewhere. Please check the link to see what studies currently are being conducted at The Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment. Your oncology team will help you in deciding which treatment may be right for your diagnosis.
Our team of rehabilitation experts have advanced training to provide specialized care for your unique needs.
Our therapists provide individualized treatment that includes:
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation
- Pelvic floor dysfunction and pain, including pain and fecal incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse
- Cognitive Rehabilitation Program
- Exercise and education
- Cancer-related fatigue therapy
- Audiology consults for possible chemotherapy-related hearing impairment.
At Providence St. Joseph Hospital Center for Cancer Prevention and Treatment, we believe in treating the whole person: body, mind and spirit. That's why, in addition to expert clinical care, we offer you and your family the resources you need to calm the mind, strengthen the spirit and concentrate on what matters most—healing.
Our Nurse Navigators provide patient-centered care while facilitating timely access. These medical professionals have the clinical expertise, advanced knowledge and skills to effectively coordinate the care of our patients, assist in overcoming barriers, and provide education and resources to promote informed decision making throughout all phases of the cancer care continuum.
We are equally dedicated to helping our community stay informed about prevention, screening, early detection, and the latest advances in cancer treatment, as well as providing support for those affected by a cancer diagnosis through support groups and community education.
To connect with our Gynecologic Oncology Program Nurse Navigator, please call 714-734-6225.
Cancer Survivorship starts from the time of diagnosis and continues throughout your lifetime. Our Survivorship Navigator helps cancer survivors transition to life after active cancer treatment.
After completing cancer treatment, our Survivorship Nurse Navigator is available to discuss the following with you:
- Review of your personalized oncology treatment summary and follow-up care plan.
- Discussion about potential long-term effects after treatment
- Financial concerns
- Recommendations for a healthy lifestyle
- Referrals for follow-up care and a list of support resources.
To make an appointment with Survivorship Nurse Navigator, please call 714-734-6236.
Additional support services include:
- Dedicated nurse navigator
- Cancer Genetic Counseling and Testing
- Cancer Nutrition Services
- Psychosocial Support
- Supportive and Palliative Care
- Survivorship Program
- Cancer Rehabilitation
- Clinical Research Trials
- Financial Counselor
- Cancer Wellness Program