Music-Thanatology is a palliative care service offered to bring physical, emotional, and spiritual comfort to patients and their families during a time of serious illness or at the end of life. Trained clinicians respond to a patient’s changing condition with a unique prescriptive delivery of music using harp and voice. Because the music is individualized, it often brings reduction of pain, reduced anxiety, respiratory relief and deep relaxation.
When is prescriptive music helpful?
- Anytime during treatment of a terminal diagnosis
- During the removal of life support
- While a person is on comfort care
- During periods of anxiety, intense pain, or sleeplessness
- When a person is having difficulty breathing
Music-Thanatology services can be requested by a patient, a family member or any health care team member. There is no fee for this service.
For more information on this service, please contact the Music-Thanatology Office in the Providence Center for Faith and Healing, at 509-474-5122.