A world where every person has the chance to live their healthiest life
Achieving health equity for all
Our vision, Health for a Better World, is driven by a belief that health is a human right. Every person deserves the chance to live their healthiest life.
At Providence, we recognize that long-standing inequities and systemic injustices exist in the world. This has led to health disparities among communities that have been marginalized because of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, religion or socioeconomic status.
Each year, we serve more than 6 million people of every walk of life. We value each member of our diverse communities for their identities, journeys and experiences. And we commit to doing the personal and institutional work needed to live the values of Providence, which call us to welcome all and serve one another with respect and dignity. Our investment of $50 million to reduce health disparities and achieve health equity is just the beginning
We pledge to:
- Build, strengthen and maintain relationships with our diverse communities, including people of color, indigenous people, those who identify as LGBTQIA+ and others experiencing inequities, oppression and discrimination
- Listen to and partner with our patients, communities and health plan members to understand and actively reduce structural, racial and cultural barriers to health for all
- Partner with community organizations to develop data-informed health equity strategies and implement proven practices to resolve the root causes of health disparities
- Amplify the voices of all identities impacted by oppression. Advocate to reform the drivers of health, social and economic disparities. And in keeping with our faith tradition, use our voice to speak out against the structural racism and injustice that has led to a public health crisis
- Prevent further harm, humbly welcome discussion and feedback, and foster a culture of continuous learning and transparency
This is our commitment to every patient and community we serve. We ask you to join us on our quest to champion and deliver Health for a Better World.
Download our health equity statement