System Library Services
Legacy Providence Health & Services/Swedish/Kadlec only.Neofax available within Micromedex
- St. Joseph Hospital Orange
- St. Jude Medical Center
- All other St. Joseph Health / Covenant / Hoag locations
- Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Providence St. Mary’s Medical Center
- Providence Tarzana Medical Center
- Kadlec Regional Medical Center
- Sanford Guide
- Natural Medicines
- AHFS Drug Information® (2019)
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Davis’ Drug Guide for Nurses
- Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations: A Guide for Effective Dosing, 2nd ed.
- Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation
- Gahart's 2020 Intravenous Medications
- Hale's Medications & Mothers' Milk, 2019
- Handbook on Injectable Drugs, 20th ed.
- Meyler's Side Effects of Drugs, 16th ed.
- Pediatric Injectable Drugs (The Teddy Bear Book), 11th Ed.
- Red Book
Databases and tutorials
Quick links to databases
Introduction to the library –Learn how to navigate the site. Learn about library resources and services. Learn basic searching techniques.
The Cochrane Library
eBooks and videos
- AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care - 7th Ed., 2017
- Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery
- ANA Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice
- AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice
- AORN Videos - contact librarian for access
- APIC Textbook
- ASPAN: 2019-2020 Perianesthesia Nursing Standards, Practice Recommendations and Interpretive Statements
- AWHONN's Perinatal Nursing
- Certification reviews
- Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements - READ ONLY
- Core Curriculum for Oncology Nursing, 6th Ed., 2019
- Davis' Drug Guide for Nurses
Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice
- Lippincott Manual of Nursing Practice, 11th Ed., 2019
- Lippincott Nursing Procedures, 8th Ed., 2019
- Lippincott's Video Series - Nursing Procedures
- Oncology Nursing Society books
- Scope and Standards of Practice by specialty
Lippincott's Nursing Procedures & Skills - legacy PH&S only
Perinatal and Neonatal Resources
Books and Journals
- AWHONN’s Perinatal Nursing
- AAP eBooks including:
- NRP in English & Spanish,
- Guidelines for Perinatal Care,
- PCEP Neonatal Care books 3 & 4,
- Guidelines for Air & Ground Transport of Neonatal and Pediatric Patients Manual
- Fetal and Neonatal Physiology
- Guidelines for Perinatal Care, 8th ed.
- High Risk & Critical Care Obstetrics, 4th ed.
- Klaus and Fanaroff's Care of the High-Risk Neonate, 6th Ed.
- Neonatal Nursing: Scope & Standards of Practice
- More Perinatal/Neonatal Nursing Books
Lactation and Breastfeeding
- LactMed database
- Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession
- Drugs During Pregnancy and Lactation: Treatment Options and Risk Assessment (3rd Ed.)
- Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk (11th Ed.)
- Hale's Medications & Mother's Milk 2019: A Manual of Lactational Pharmacology
- More books
- Breastfeeding Medicine
- Clinical Lactation
- Journal of Human Lactation
- More Journals
Additional Nursing ebooks
- Nutrition Care Manual
- Pediatric Nutrition Care Manual
- Sports Nutrition Care Manual
- eNCPT – Nutrition Terminology Reference Manual
- Evidence Analysis Library
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics
- Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
- JPEN, Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- Nutrition in Clinical Practice
- Topics in Clinical Nutrition
- Assessment Tools for Palliative Care [Technical Brief, No. 30]
- Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations : A Guide for Effective Dosing, 2nd Edition
- Evidence-Based Practice in Palliative Medicine
- Hastings Center Guidelines for Decisions on Life-Sustaining Treatment and Care Near the End of Life, 2nd Ed. (2013)
- Health Literacy and Palliative Care: Workshop Summary
- Integrated Outpatient Palliative Care in Oncology
- Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine (5th ed.)
- Palliative Care: Core Skills and Clinical Competencies
- Palliative Medicine
- Palliative Practices From A-Z for the Bedside Clinician
- Textbook of Interdisciplinary Pediatric Palliative Care
- When Children Die: Improving Palliative and End-of-life Care for Children and Their Families
- American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine® (1999 - present)
- BMC Palliative Care (2002 - present)
- Current Opinion in Supportive & Palliative Care (2007 - present)
- Eli's Hospice Insider (2010 - present)
- International Journal of Palliative Nursing (2002 - 2015)
- Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy (2008 - present; Full text Delay: 18 months)
- Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing (2002 to present)
- Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy (2002 - present; Full Text Delay: 18 months)
- Journal of Palliative Medicine (1998 - present)
- Journal of Social Work in End-Of-Life & Palliative Care (2005 - present; Full Text Delay: 18 months)
- Palliative Care: Research and Treatment (2008 - present)
- Palliative Medicine: The Research Journal of the EAPC (1999 - present)
- Progress in Palliative Care (Science and the Art of Caring) (2005 - present)
Providence St. Joseph Health libraries have print collections of palliative care texts and classic titles by Dr. Ira Byock, Dr. Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross, and Dr. Sherwin Nuland. For more information please contact your local PJSH library.
- PSJH Institute for Human Caring - Includes details on upcoming events and information and resources for patients and family members
- PSJH Institute for Human Caring (internal page) - Includes internal presentations, communications, Advance Directive resources, and ACP Decisions video resources.
- PSJH Institute for Human Caring Video Library - Includes training and support videos on palliative care related topics.
- Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC) Course Curriculum - Includes course curricula and CME/CEU across a broad range of palliative care related topics. Provides the essential tools, training, technical assistance, and metrics to build and sustain palliative care in all health care setting.
As a member institution, all PSJH staff have 100% access to essential tools, training and technical assistance.
- Go to CAPC.org and click on the Create an Account button in the upper right hand corner
- Select the name of the PSJH ministry where you are employed from the drop-down
- Enter your PSJH work email
- Create a password
- Continue to CAPC Central (where membership resources are located)
Complex Pain Management Resources
Ketamine: Evidence for Clinical Use
- Schwenk ES, Viscusi ER, Buvanendran A, et al. Consensus Guidelines on the Use of Intravenous Ketamine Infusions for Acute Pain Management From the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, the American Academy of Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018;43(5):1. doi:10.1097/AAP.0000000000000806
- Hocking G, Cousins MJ. Ketamine in chronic pain management: an evidence-based review. Anesth Analg. 2003;97(6):1730-1739.
- Fine PG. Low-dose ketamine in the management of opioid nonresponsive terminal cancer pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999;17(4):296-300.
- Prommer EE. Ketamine for pain: An update of uses in palliative care. J Palliat Med. 2012;15(4):474-483. doi:10.1089/jpm.2011.0244
- Okon T. Ketamine: an introduction for the pain and palliative medicine physician. Pain Physician. 2007;10(3):493-500.
- Shillingburg A, Kanate AS, Hamadani M, Wen S, Craig M, Cumpston A. Treatment of severe mucositis pain with oral ketamine mouthwash. Support Care Cancer. 2017;25(7):2215-2219. doi:10.1007/s00520-017-3627-6
- Fitzgibbon EJ, Hall P, Schroder C, Seely J, Viola R. Low dose ketamine as an analgesic adjuvant in difficult pain syndromes: a strategy for conversion from parenteral to oral ketamine. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002;23(2):165-170.
- Legge J, Ball N, Elliott DP. The potential role of ketamine in hospice analgesia: a literature review. Consult Pharm. 2006;21(1):51-57. – please contact the library to request
- Mercadante S, Arcuri E, Tirelli W, Casuccio A. Analgesic effect of intravenous ketamine in cancer patients on morphine therapy: a randomized, controlled, double-blind, crossover, double-dose study. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2000;20(4):246-252.
- Slatkin NE, Rhiner M. Topical ketamine in the treatment of mucositis pain. Pain Med. 2003;4(3):298-303.
- Zeballos JL, Lirk P, Rathmell JP. Low-Dose Ketamine for Acute Pain Management. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018;43(5):453-455. doi:10.1097/AAP.0000000000000810
- Maher DP, Chen L, Mao J. Intravenous Ketamine Infusions for Neuropathic Pain Management. Anesth Analg. 2017;124(2):661-674. doi:10.1213/ANE.0000000000001787
- Jackson K, Ashby M, Martin P, Pisasale M, Brumley D, Hayes B. “Burst” ketamine for refractory cancer pain: an open-label audit of 39 patients. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2001;22(4):834-842.
- Benı́tez-Rosario MA, Feria M, Salinas-Martı́n A, Martı́nez-Castillo LP, Martı́n-Ortega JJ. A Retrospective Comparison of the Dose Ratio Between Subcutaneous and Oral Ketamine. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003;25(5):400-402. doi:10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00072-1
- Bobo, W. V., Vande Voort, J. L., Croarkin, P. E., Leung, J. G., Tye, S. J., & Frye, M. A. (2016). Ketamine for Treatment-Resistant Unipolar and Bipolar Major Depression: Critical Review and Implications for Clinical Practice. Depression And Anxiety, 33(8), 698–710. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.22505
- Serafini, G., Howland, R. H., Rovedi, F., Girardi, P., & Amore, M. (2014). The role of ketamine in treatment-resistant depression: a systematic review. Current Neuropharmacology, 12(5), 444–461. https://doi.org/10.2174/1570159X12666140619204251
Ketamine: Administration Protocols and Pharmacy
Lidocaine: Evidence for Clinical Use
- Kranke P, Jokinen J, Pace NL, et al. Continuous intravenous perioperative lidocaine infusion for postoperative pain and recovery. Cochrane database Syst Rev. 2015;(7):CD009642. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009642.pub2
- De Silva LOJ, Scherber K, Cabrera D, et al. Safety and Efficacy of Intravenous Lidocaine for Pain Management in the Emergency Department: A Systematic Review. Ann Emerg Med. 2018;72(2):135-144.e3. doi:10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.12.014
- Kim Y-C, Castañeda AM, Lee C, Jin H-S, Park KS, Moon JY. Efficacy and Safety of Lidocaine Infusion Treatment for Neuropathic Pain. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018;43(4):415-424. doi:10.1097/AAP.0000000000000741
Methadone and Buprenorphine
- McPherson, M. L., Walker, K. A., Davis, M. P., Bruera, E., Reddy, A., Paice, J., … Chou, R. (2019). Safe and Appropriate Use of Methadone in Hospice and Palliative Care: Expert Consensus White Paper. Journal Of Pain And Symptom Management, 57(3), 635–645.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2018.12.001
Opioid Infusions: Administration Protocols/Pharmacy
- Bender MA, Hurd C, Solvang N, Colagrossi K, Matsuwaka D, Curtis JR. A New Generation of Comfort Care Order Sets: Aligning Protocols with Current Principles. J Palliat Med. 2017;20(9):922-929. doi:10.1089/jpm.2016.0549
- Schechter LN, Lineham B. Opioid Infusion Guidelines for Palliative Care. Philadelphia, PA; 2007.
- McPherson, M. L. (2018). Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations : A Guide for Effective Dosing, 2nd Edition (Vol. Second edition). Bethesda, MD: ASHP.
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- British Medical Journal
- Harvard Business Review
- Health Affairs
- The Lancet
- New England Journal
- AAMI Infection Control Standards (available on-site only)
- AAP Books
- APIC Text (available on-site only)
- 7th Textbook Neonatal Resuscitation
- Red Book
How to Find a Journal for Your Article
- Journal/Author Name Estimator (JANE): use your title or abstract to find a potential journal or co-author.
- Journal Impact Factor
- Core Medical Journals - from Abridged Index Medicus, a subset of MEDLINE
- Core Nursing Journals - compiled by the Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section of the Medical Library Association
- Most frequently accessed medical journals on GoogleScholar
- Top 100 Biomedical Journals - compiled by the Special Libraries Association
- Elements of Style - a classic by William Strunk in full text; the American English writing style guide.
- How to Write, Publish, and Present in the Health Sciences: A Guide for Clinicians and Laboratory Researchers (2010)
- How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-based Medicine and Healthcare - 6th Ed. (2019)
- Authorship guidelines - Who is an author?
- Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly work in Medical Journals.
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Writing and Editing for Biomedical Publication.
- List of Participating Journals
Not sure you want to write at all? Check out tips on publishing in medicine from Dr. Lundberg, the former editor of JAMA.
Free citation managers
- Mendeley iPhone/iPad mobile app
- Mendeley Android mobile app
- Zotero mobile apps
- Zotero tutorials
American Medical Association
- AMA Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors and Editors (Available on Campus Only)
National Center for Biotechnology Information
APA, AMA, Chicago, MLA
- Purdue OWL - a free resource for APA, AMA, MLA and Chicago Manual of Style
- APA Basics tutorial
- APA Style site - quick tips and examples
Books at the library
- APA and other style manuals may be available at your local library or can be requested on interlibrary loan for you. Just Ask Your Library.
Abstract and manuscript writing help
Gary Grunkemeier at the Medical Data Research Center.
Author and researcher database
Register at ORCID - get a unique identifier distinguishing you from other researchers.