Neofax available within Micromedex
Reprotox for effects of medication on pregnancy, lactation & development available within Micromedex
- Lexicomp - only available at Providence Tarzana Medical Center, all other ministries use Micromedex
- Sanford Guide
- Natural Medicines
- Poison Control
- AHFS Drug Information® (2021)
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Davis’ Drug Guide for Nurses, 2021
- Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations: A Guide for Effective Dosing, 2nd ed.
- Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation
- Gahart's 2021 Intravenous Medications
- Hale's Medications & Mothers' Milk, 2021
- Handbook on Injectable Drugs, 20th ed.
- Meyler's Side Effects of Drugs, 16th ed.
- Pediatric Injectable Drugs (The Teddy Bear Book), 11th ed.
- Red Book
- Trissel's Stability of Compounded Formulations, 6th ed
Databases and tutorials
Quick links to databases
Introduction to the library – Learn how to navigate the site. Learn about library resources and services. Learn basic searching techniques.
The Cochrane Library - videos work best in IE
eBooks and videos
- AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive, and Critical Care - 7th Ed., 2017
- Alexander's Care of the Patient in Surgery
- ANA Nursing: Scope and Standards of Practice, 4th ed.
- AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice
- AORN Videos - contact librarian for access
- APIC Textbook
- ASPAN: 2021-22 Perianesthesia Nursing Standards, Practice Recommendations and Interpretive Statements
- AWHONN's Perinatal Nursing, 5th Ed., 2021
- Certification reviews
- Code of Ethics for Nurses with Interpretive Statements - READ ONLY
- Core Curriculum for Oncology Nursing, 6th Ed., 2019
- Davis' Drug Guide for Nurses
- The Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a path to achieve health equity - free download, registration required
- Infusion Therapy Standards of Practice 8th ed. 2021 revision
- Policies and Procedures for Infusion Therapy: Acute Care, 6th ed. 2021
- Scope and Standards of Practice by specialty
- Telephone Triage Protocols for Nurses, 6th ed. 2021
- More nursing eBooks via R2
Procedures: Regional Links
- California - legacy Providence Southern California region
- California - legacy Providence Northern California region
- NW Washington
- SW Washington
- PHC- Spokane and Steven’s County
- Walla Walla
Procedures: Providence Senior and Community Services (PSCS)
eBooks and eJournals
- AWHONN’s Perinatal Nursing, 5th Ed., 2021
- AAP eBooks including:
- Fetal and Neonatal Physiology
- Guidelines for Perinatal Care, 8th ed.
- High Risk & Critical Care Obstetrics, 4th ed.
- Klaus and Fanaroff's Care of the High-Risk Neonate, 6th Ed.
- Neonatal Nursing: Scope & Standards of Practice
- Transformative Nursing in the NICU: Trauma-Informed, Age-Appropriate Care, 2nd ed.
- More Perinatal/Neonatal Nursing Books
Lactation and Breastfeeding
- LactMed database
- Breastfeeding: A Guide for the Medical Profession
- Drugs During Pregnancy and Lactation: Treatment Options and Risk Assessment (3rd Ed.)
- Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation: A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk (11th Ed.)
- Hale's Medications & Mother's Milk 2021: A Manual of Lactational Pharmacology
- More books
- Breastfeeding Medicine
- Clinical Lactation
- Journal of Human Lactation
- More Journals
- Nutrition Care Manual
- Pediatric Nutrition Care Manual
- Sports Nutrition Care Manual
- eNCPT – Nutrition Terminology Reference Manual (contact librarian for remote access instructions)
- Evidence Analysis Library
- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
- Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Journal of Nutrition
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Human Nutrition & Dietetics
- Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition
- JPEN, Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition
- Nutrition in Clinical Practice
- Topics in Clinical Nutrition
- Assessment Tools for Palliative Care [Technical Brief, No. 30]
- Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations : A Guide for Effective Dosing, 2nd Edition
- Evidence-Based Practice in Palliative Medicine
- Hastings Center Guidelines for Decisions on Life-Sustaining Treatment and Care Near the End of Life, 2nd Ed. (2013)
- Health Literacy and Palliative Care: Workshop Summary
- Integrated Outpatient Palliative Care in Oncology
- Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine (5th ed.)
- Palliative Care: Core Skills and Clinical Competencies
- Palliative Medicine
- Palliative Practices From A-Z for the Bedside Clinician
- Textbook of Interdisciplinary Pediatric Palliative Care
- When Children Die: Improving Palliative and End-of-life Care for Children and Their Families
- American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine® (1999 - present)
- BMC Palliative Care (2002 - present)
- Current Opinion in Supportive & Palliative Care (2007 - present)
- International Journal of Palliative Nursing (2002 - 2015)
- Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy (2008 - present; Full text Delay: 18 months)
- Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing (2002 to present)
- Journal of Pain & Palliative Care Pharmacotherapy (2002 - present; Full Text Delay: 18 months)
- Journal of Palliative Medicine (1998 - present)
- Journal of Social Work in End-Of-Life & Palliative Care (2005 - present; Full Text Delay: 18 months)
- Palliative Care: Research and Treatment (2008 - present)
- Palliative Medicine: The Research Journal of the EAPC (1999 - present)
- Progress in Palliative Care (Science and the Art of Caring) (2005 - present)
Providence St. Joseph Health libraries have print collections of palliative care texts and classic titles by Dr. Ira Byock, Dr. Elisabeth Kuebler-Ross, and Dr. Sherwin Nuland. For more information please contact your local PJSH library.
- PSJH Institute for Human Caring - Includes details on upcoming events and information and resources for patients and family members
- PSJH Institute for Human Caring (internal page) - Includes internal presentations, communications, Advance Directive resources and ACP Decisions video resources.
- PSJH Institute for Human Caring Video Library - Includes training and support videos on palliative care related topics.
- Center to Advance Palliative Care (CAPC) Course Curriculum - Includes course curricula and CME/CEU across a broad range of palliative care related topics. Provides the essential tools, training, technical assistance, and metrics to build and sustain palliative care in all health care setting.
As a member institution, all staff have 100% access to essential tools, training and technical assistance. To access:
- Go to CAPC.org and click on the Create an Account button in the upper right hand corner
- Select the name of the PSJH ministry where you are employed from the drop-down
- Enter your PSJH work email
- Create a password
- Continue to CAPC Central (where membership resources are located)
Ketamine: Evidence for Clinical Use
- Schwenk ES, Viscusi ER, Buvanendran A, et al. Consensus Guidelines on the Use of Intravenous Ketamine Infusions for Acute Pain Management From the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, the American Academy of Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018;43(5):1. doi:10.1097/AAP.0000000000000806
- Hocking G, Cousins MJ. Ketamine in chronic pain management: an evidence-based review. Anesth Analg. 2003;97(6):1730-1739.
- Fine PG. Low-dose ketamine in the management of opioid nonresponsive terminal cancer pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 1999;17(4):296-300.
- Prommer EE. Ketamine for pain: An update of uses in palliative care. J Palliat Med. 2012;15(4):474-483. doi:10.1089/jpm.2011.0244
- Okon T. Ketamine: an introduction for the pain and palliative medicine physician. Pain Physician. 2007;10(3):493-500.
- Shillingburg A, Kanate AS, Hamadani M, Wen S, Craig M, Cumpston A. Treatment of severe mucositis pain with oral ketamine mouthwash. Support Care Cancer. 2017;25(7):2215-2219. doi:10.1007/s00520-017-3627-6
- Fitzgibbon EJ, Hall P, Schroder C, Seely J, Viola R. Low dose ketamine as an analgesic adjuvant in difficult pain syndromes: a strategy for conversion from parenteral to oral ketamine. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002;23(2):165-170.
- Legge J, Ball N, Elliott DP. The potential role of ketamine in hospice analgesia: a literature review. Consult Pharm. 2006;21(1):51-57. – please contact the library to request
- Mercadante S, Arcuri E, Tirelli W, Casuccio A. Analgesic effect of intravenous ketamine in cancer patients on morphine therapy: a randomized, controlled, double-blind, crossover, double-dose study. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2000;20(4):246-252.
- Slatkin NE, Rhiner M. Topical ketamine in the treatment of mucositis pain. Pain Med. 2003;4(3):298-303.
- Zeballos JL, Lirk P, Rathmell JP. Low-Dose Ketamine for Acute Pain Management. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018;43(5):453-455. doi:10.1097/AAP.0000000000000810 – please contact the library to request
- Maher DP, Chen L, Mao J. Intravenous Ketamine Infusions for Neuropathic Pain Management. Anesth Analg. 2017;124(2):661-674. doi:10.1213/ANE.0000000000001787
- Jackson K, Ashby M, Martin P, Pisasale M, Brumley D, Hayes B. “Burst” ketamine for refractory cancer pain: an open-label audit of 39 patients. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2001;22(4):834-842.
- Benı́tez-Rosario MA, Feria M, Salinas-Martı́n A, Martı́nez-Castillo LP, Martı́n-Ortega JJ. A Retrospective Comparison of the Dose Ratio Between Subcutaneous and Oral Ketamine. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2003;25(5):400-402. doi:10.1016/S0885-3924(03)00072-1
- Bobo, W. V., Vande Voort, J. L., Croarkin, P. E., Leung, J. G., Tye, S. J., & Frye, M. A. (2016). Ketamine for Treatment-Resistant Unipolar and Bipolar Major Depression: Critical Review and Implications for Clinical Practice. Depression And Anxiety, 33(8), 698–710. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.22505
- Serafini, G., Howland, R. H., Rovedi, F., Girardi, P., & Amore, M. (2014). The role of ketamine in treatment-resistant depression: a systematic review. Current Neuropharmacology, 12(5), 444–461. https://doi.org/10.2174/1570159X12666140619204251
Ketamine: Administration Protocols and Pharmacy
Lidocaine: Evidence for Clinical Use
- Kranke P, Jokinen J, Pace NL, et al. Continuous intravenous perioperative lidocaine infusion for postoperative pain and recovery. Cochrane database Syst Rev. 2015;(7):CD009642. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009642.pub2
- De Silva LOJ, Scherber K, Cabrera D, et al. Safety and Efficacy of Intravenous Lidocaine for Pain Management in the Emergency Department: A Systematic Review. Ann Emerg Med. 2018;72(2):135-144.e3. doi:10.1016/j.annemergmed.2017.12.014
- Kim Y-C, Castañeda AM, Lee C, Jin H-S, Park KS, Moon JY. Efficacy and Safety of Lidocaine Infusion Treatment for Neuropathic Pain. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018;43(4):415-424. doi:10.1097/AAP.0000000000000741 – please contact the library to request
Methadone and Buprenorphine
- McPherson, M. L., Walker, K. A., Davis, M. P., Bruera, E., Reddy, A., Paice, J., … Chou, R. (2019). Safe and Appropriate Use of Methadone in Hospice and Palliative Care: Expert Consensus White Paper. Journal Of Pain And Symptom Management, 57(3), 635–645.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2018.12.001
Opioid Infusions: Administration Protocols/Pharmacy
- Bender MA, Hurd C, Solvang N, Colagrossi K, Matsuwaka D, Curtis JR. A New Generation of Comfort Care Order Sets: Aligning Protocols with Current Principles. J Palliat Med. 2017;20(9):922-929. doi:10.1089/jpm.2016.0549
- McPherson, M. L. (2018). Demystifying Opioid Conversion Calculations : A Guide for Effective Dosing, 2nd Edition (Vol. Second edition). Bethesda, MD: ASHP.
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- British Medical Journal
- Harvard Business Review
- Health Affairs
- The Lancet
- New England Journal
- AACN Procedure Manual for High Acuity, Progressive and Critical Care - 7th Ed., 2017
- AAMI Infection Control Standards (available on-site only)
- AAP Books
- AORN Guidelines for Perioperative Practice
- APIC Text
- ASPAN: 2021-2022 Perianesthesia Nursing Standards, Practice Recommendations and Interpretive Statements
- NRP - 8th Textbook Neonatal Resuscitation
- Red Book
How to Find a Journal for Your Article
- Journal Author Name Estimator (JANE): use your title or abstract to find a potential journal or co-author.
- Journal Impact Factor
- Core Medical Journals - from Abridged Index Medicus, a subset of MEDLINE
- Core Nursing Journals - compiled by the Nursing and Allied Health Resources Section of the Medical Library Association
- Most frequently accessed medical journals on GoogleScholar
- Top 100 Biomedical Journals - compiled by the Special Libraries Association
- Elements of Style - a classic by William Strunk in full text; the American English writing style guide.
- How to Write, Publish, and Present in the Health Sciences: A Guide for Clinicians and Laboratory Researchers (2010)
- How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-based Medicine and Healthcare - 6th Ed. (2019)
- Authorship guidelines - Who is an author?
- Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing, and Publication of Scholarly work in Medical Journals.
- Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals: Writing and Editing for Biomedical Publication.
- List of Participating Journals
Not sure you want to write at all? Check out tips on publishing in medicine from Dr. Lundberg, the former editor of JAMA.
Free citation managers
- Mendeley iPhone/iPad mobile app
- Mendeley Android mobile app
- Zotero mobile apps
- Zotero tutorials
American Medical Association
- AMA Manual of Style: A Guide for Authors and Editors (Available on Campus Only)
- Advancing Health Equity: Guide to Language, Narrative and Concepts
National Center for Biotechnology Information
APA, AMA, Chicago, MLA
- Purdue OWL - a free resource for APA, AMA, MLA and Chicago Manual of Style
- APA tutorials
- APA Style site - quick tips and examples
Books at the library
- APA and other style manuals may be available at your local library or can be requested on interlibrary loan for you. Just Ask Your Library.
Abstract and manuscript writing help
Request biostatistical support from Providence's Health Services Research Council
Author and researcher database
Register at ORCID - get a unique identifier distinguishing you from other researchers.
Research summaries curated by System Library Services professionals, email us for a monthly update sent to your inbox.
Race and Healthcare eBooks
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion eBooks (limited seats per book, if you receive a 'not available' message try again later)
- Agewise: Fighting the new ageism in America, 2011
- Blindspot: Hidden biases of good people, 2013
- Caste: The origins of our discontents, 2020
- A disability history of the United States (revisioning American history), 2012
- Disability visibility: First-person stories from the twenty-first century, 2020
- Health disparities, diversity and inclusion: Context, controversies and solutions, 2018
- How to be an antiracist, 2019
- The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks, 2010
- Killing the black body: Race, reproduction and the meaning of liberty, 1999
- Medical apartheid: The dark history of medical experimentation on black Americans from colonial times to present, 2006
- Medical bondage: Race, gender and the origins of American gynecology, 2017
- The new Jim Crow: Mass incarceration in the age of colorblindness, 2020
- Queer history of the United States, 2011
- Seeing patients: A surgeon's story of race and medical bias, 2019
- The warmth of other suns: The epic story of America's great migration, 2010
- White fragility: Why it's so hard for white people to talk about racism, 2018
Research summaries curated by System Library Services professionals
- COVID-19 Updates SharePoint Site
- Email us to sign up and receive a daily email of new literature published on Coronavirus / COVID-19
- NIH COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines - updated frequently as published data becomes available
- CDC Coronavirus (COVID-19) site
- WHO Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) site
- FDA Coronavirus (COVID-19) site