Virtual Second Opinion Service
Receive a second opinion without leaving home
Providence Brain and Spine Institute is here to help you navigate a possible complex diagnosis or treatment plan with our Virtual Second Opinion service. Our expert physicians offer you compassion and clarity, while our care coordinator guides you through the process.
Currently we offer second opinions for:
For information about any other neurological diagnoses or programs, please call 503-216-1055.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does the process work?
Getting a virtual second opinion is easy:
- Click on the button above and fill in the form to create an account. If you need help creating the account, call 503-216-1055.
- Provide your email address and basic contact information, plus details on where your medical records and imaging can be obtained. Everything is handled securely to protect your privacy.
- A care coordinator will contact you to go over any questions and get any additional information needed.
- Our expert physicians and brain tumor team will review your diagnosis and imaging to create a treatment plan. A specialist will then schedule your online video second opinion to discuss their recommendations and your questions.
During the process, you will be assigned a personal care coordinator who will be your point of contact and will assist you with logistics, medical records and questions.
How long does it take?
The timing depends on how long it takes to obtain your medical records. Typically, it takes seven to 10 business days from the time you submit your form until you have your virtual visit. Your care coordinator will keep you updated on the schedule.
How much does it cost?
The cost is $150 and includes:
- Access to your personal care coordinator Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. (PT)
- Collection and review of your records by our specialists
- Virtual visit with Providence Brain and Spine Institute second opinion provider
Will my insurance help pay for this?
Currently, most health plans do not cover online virtual second opinions. You are responsible for the cost, and payment is due when your second opinion request is accepted.
Providence Brain and Spine Institute will not file a claim for this service, nor can we provide procedure codes for the online virtual second opinion. Some insurance plans may cover the cost of an in-person second opinion. If you would like to request an in-person visit, please call 503-216-1055.
What should I do once I have the second opinion?
Our specialist may agree with your original diagnosis and treatment plan, offering you peace of mind that you are making the right decisions about your medical care. Or our specialist may agree with the initial diagnosis but recommend different or additional treatments. In some cases, our specialist may have a different diagnosis entirely and will recommend a different course of treatment.
If you decide to come to Providence Brain and Spine Institute in Portland, Oregon, for your treatment, your personal care coordinator will help schedule your in-person appointment. We offer individualized treatment plans, the most up-to-date treatment options available and clinical trials.
Providence Brain and Spine Institute of Oregon
The Providence Brain and Spine Institute is a comprehensive, integrated center of excellence that treats all conditions of the brain and spine. We are the leading provider of neurological care in Oregon committed to making a positive difference in every life we touch. Our patients are at the center of everything we do. See a complete list of conditions we treat and learn more about the care we offer.