Honoring Breast Cancer Awareness Month
It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we're joining the movement to promote screening and prevention of this disease that affects one in eight women in the United States every year.
At Providence, we're dedicated to helping our neighbors know the risk factors--and how to minimize them--especially for those who are most vulnerable.
Reducing Health Disparities to Save Lives
According to the American Cancer Society, while Latinx women have a lower breast cancer incidence rate than white women, they are approximately 10% more likely to be diagnosed at a later stage when it is more difficult to treat and more intensive.
On October 7, during Hispanic Heritage Month, Providence's Health Equity team is sponsoring a mobile mammography van to increase access in the Healdsburg area for Alliance Health patients (click here to view our flier in Spanish). Other FQHCs will sponsor the mammography van at their sites across Sonoma County this month as well.
During October, Providence Mobile Health Clinic and staff will be on-site at Hispanic Heritage Month health fairs to provide education, blood pressure/glucose tests and more.
This year, we have enhanced our services to reach more Latinx patients by:
- Expanding our mammography hours: We now have extended hours bi-monthly on Fridays and Saturdays (walk-in mammos are offered bimonthly once every other Friday). For example, women can receive a walk-in appointment Friday, Oct. 13 (8 a.m.-6 p.m.) or by appointment on Saturday, Oct. 14 (8 a.m.-12 p.m.). (see flier in Spanish).
- Hiring bilingual caregivers.
- Working collaboratively with our county Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) coalition, Aliados, to increase access to screening year-round.
- Texting, writing and calling Providence Medical Group Latinx patients who have not been screened with in the past year.
- Attending health fairs to educate individuals on the importance of yearly mammography and providing referrals.
To learn more about our award-winning Breast Center, click here.