When you face important choices about your health, you deserve the best guidance. At Providence, you’ll meet with an experienced team who will deliver the most accurate diagnosis and recommend the most effective treatment plan. Our goal is to help you recover as quickly and fully as possible.
If you have a condition that affects your lungs or chest, thoracic surgery may help improve your quality of life. Examples of issues range from chest wall deformity to pleural effusion and tracheal disorder.
We are constantly expanding our treatment options, recommending minimally invasive procedures whenever possible. Among other benefits, you will likely experience a faster recovery, less pain and reduced scarring. Additional procedures offered include video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) and robotic-assisted technology.
Collaborative team approach
Our integrated teams include doctors trained in diagnosis, surgery, pathology (disease) and oncology (cancer). They work alongside therapists, rehabilitation specialists and other health care professionals. You can rest assured knowing that our surgeons stay up-to-date on the latest techniques and therapies to bring you the best possible outcomes.
Whether you recently have been diagnosed with lung cancer, learned you have recurrent cancer or would like to get a second opinion, Providence offers the personalized treatment you need. You’ll meet with a team of cancer experts, such as a medical oncologist, radiation oncologist and pulmonologist. Merging their experience with many types of cancer, the team works together – and with you – to create an individualized treatment plan.
Cancer is a complicated disease that requires a combination of modalities for treatment, such as radiation therapy, surgery, chemotherapy and biotherapy. Many new treatment options have been discovered and researched within the past few years, providing better outcomes and survival benefits. At Providence, we use the most recent medical developments and clinical trials to give you the best possible quality of life.
Collaborative team of experts
Here are some specialists who may make up your care team.
- Medical oncologist: cancer specialist who treats people using systemic therapy delivered through the blood stream (chemotherapy, immune therapy)
- Radiation oncologist: cancer specialist who treats people by designing and focusing radiation to kill cancer cells
- Thoracic surgeon: surgeon specializing in the chest and its diseases
- Palliative care specialist: physician who specializes in treating cancer, managing treatment-related symptoms and setting goals of care
- Pulmonologist: physician who specializes in diseases and conditions of the chest, including pneumonia, asthma, tuberculosis, emphysema, complicated chest infections, and more
Nobody should have to battle cancer alone. Whether you’re facing your own diagnosis or you’re supporting a loved one, we’re here for you.
All of our hospitals provide a breadth of services designed to address your physical, emotional and spiritual concerns related to a cancer diagnosis.
On the following pages you can learn more about the types of services and resources offered.
Please check with your local hospital to find out which specific programs are available in your area.
Providence Thoracic Surgery Initiative
Thoracic Surgery Initiative (TSI) mission: The Providence TSI aims to define, implement and monitor thoracic surgery quality across our system.
This site is for the ongoing use of participants in the Providence system wide Thoracic Surgery Initiative.
Best Practice Components
- Primary spontaneous pneumothorax management
- Post lung resection massive subcutaneous emphysema management
- Pneumonectomy Standardized Care Pathway
- Post Curative Lung Cancer Resection Clinical & Radiographic Surveillance
- SBRT Lung Cancer Clinical Pathway
- Intra-operative LN naming protocol
- Standardized care pathway for spontaneous pneumomediastinum (SPM)
Standardized Care Documents (EPIC)
Providence TSI Position Statement
Doctors Specializing in Thoracic Services
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.