Forensic Nursing Services
Forensic Nursing Services
If you’ve experienced physical or sexual violence, neglect or intentional psychological injury, we’re here for you. We understand the emotional trauma and physical pain you may be feeling at this time, and we’re here to support you.
At Providence Forensic Nursing Services, we provide highly sensitive medical forensic examinations for adolescent and adult patients. You will receive one-on-one nursing care in a safe outpatient setting from one of our specially trained nurse examiners. We will treat any injuries you have and collect medical forensic evidence for you. The evidence may be used during a police investigation or prosecution if you decide to report the abuse to police.
At Forensic Nursing Services, we care for patients who’ve suffered a physical, sexual or psychological injury. Our highly experienced nurses will perform a medical forensic exam that includes:
- Comprehensive physical examination
- Treatment for acute injuries
- A medical forensic history of the incident
- Laboratory tests
- Screening for sexually transmitted infections
- Screening for pregnancy risk as a result of sexual assault
- Medication as needed, included treatment to prevent sexually transmitted infections and emergency contraception, if appropriate (in accordance with USCCB Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services)
- Referrals to additional resources
Our forensic nurse examiner will also:
- Collect forensic evidence
- Document the incident in detail, including photographs, diagrams and written reports
- Provide expert medical testimony in criminal and civil court proceedings
Forensic Nursing Services provides medical forensic examinations and specialized nursing care to you with or without you reporting the abuse to law enforcement. If you would like to report a violent incident or injury to law enforcement, a law enforcement investigator will meet you at our Forensic Nursing Services clinic. You’ll have an opportunity to talk in a quiet, confidential interview location.
Forensic Nursing Services of Providence is the only service provider for medical forensic exams in the Anchorage region.
We collaborate with crisis intervention specialists and community advocates to support you during the medical forensic examination process. You will not be billed for the services you receive at the Forensic Nursing Services of Providence.
After your medical forensic exam is complete, we’ll take special care to make sure you have access to any resources you need to recover and move forward with your life.
We provide referrals for:
- Follow-up medical evaluations
- Mental health services
- Organizations that specialize in the care of people who’ve suffered physical, sexual or psychological injury
Our main priority is the care and well-being of our patients and community. Our forensic nurses also perform community outreach services and speak at educational forums to help prevent interpersonal violence and teach other healthcare providers how to provide medical forensic care for patients that have been abused.