The health care ministry of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange began in Humboldt County during the flu epidemic of 1918. The Sisters opened the first St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka in 1920 and committed to continually improving the health and quality of life of the people served. This commitment continues today and has been further defined by the vision to bring people together to provide compassionate care, promote health improvement, and create healthy communities.
Our employees are the most valuable assets in assuring the provision of the highest quality health care, and they, together with our volunteers, donors, and community partners help us continue to fulfill our vision.
We are pleased to share our extraordinary ministry with you as well as the unique community programs that go beyond traditional hospital services - including our Community Resource Centers in Blue Lake, Eureka, Loleta, Rio Dell and Willow Creek.
- Roberta Luskin-Hawk, MD, Chief Executive
- Travis Sewalls, MD, Chief Medical Officer
- Dan Kelly, Chief Nursing Officer
A number of organizations have given St. Joseph Hospital, Eureka and its many departments high rankings. Among them, we are accredited by The Joint Commission.
In addition our hospitals hold the following distinctions for various services:
- Named a US News & World Report High Performer for Heart Failure in 2019 and 2020 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Named a Healthgrades Five-star recipient of Repair of Abdominal Aorta in 2020 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Named a Healthgrades Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for 6 Years in a Row (2016-2021) (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Our Cancer Program is accredited as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Center by the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer
- Named a US News & World Report High Performer for Colon Cancer Surgery in 2019 and 2020 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Honored as a five-star recipient for Colorectal Surgeries in 2020 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Blue Distinction® Center Designation for Quality in Knee and Hip Replacement in 2020 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Named a Healthgrades Five-Star Recipient for Total Hip Replacement in 2021 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Listed on Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Orthopedic Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery, Excellence Award in 2019 (St. Joseph Hospital)
- Named on the California Health and Human Services Agency’s Maternity Honor Roll 2019 (St. Joseph Hospital Eureka)
- 2020 Blue Cross/Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care
- 2020 Cal Hospital Compare Honor Roll for Maternity and Opioid Care
- Listed as a Healthgrades Five-star recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia in 2020 (St. Joseph Hospital)
This crisis care guideline and applicable practices are subject to change due to evolving regulations, guidance, and recommendations from local, state and federal agencies.