Volunteering at Providence Child Center
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Providence Child Center. It is only with the support and commitment of our community that we are able to maintain the high level of quality and care in this extraordinary facility. We welcome volunteers at Swindells Resource Center, Providence Children's Development Institute, and Center for Medically Fragile Children.
- Send us an email to learn more about volunteer opportunities
- If you are a therapeutic recreation student and want to learn more about our internship program, please send us an email
Center for Medically Fragile Children
When a child has profound disabilities and requires complex medical care, families can feel overwhelmed, despite their unwavering love. Volunteers and staff at the Center for Medically Fragile Children at Providence Child Center provide an extension of that family. We give children opportunities to play, cuddle, laugh and learn. It is a profound experience for our volunteers and a labor of love for all of us.
Volunteer opportunities at the Center for Medically Fragile Children include working directly with a specific child; assisting with field trips, recreational programs and water activities; special events and parties, as well as helping the children get on and off their school buses. We have a limited number of opportunities for high school and college students.
Pediatric Recreational Therapy
The therapeutic recreation team at Providence Child Center provides recreational opportunities for our kids that enhance their health, functional abilities, independence and quality of life. Our therapy staff is supported by hundreds of volunteers who make it possible to provide unique and exciting recreational activities.
- Art, music and sports groups are continuously provided by our creative staff, volunteers and community partners
- Community integration field trips to Portland Trail Blazer Games, OMSI, the Saturday Market, movies and more
- The Friend to Friend program partners local students with our kids for a year’s worth of friendship and life-long memories
- Holiday parties, like the annual Christmas Present Celebration, Family Christmas Party and Family Easter Party
- Special events and typical childhood traditions, including the Junior Rose Parade, a traditional Prom, birthday parties and summer camp
- Alternative therapy services, like music therapy and pet therapy – we’ve hosted everything from harps to llamas!