Dedicated to helping you enjoy life without the burden of joint or back pain, Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center orthopedic and sports medicine specialists provide state-of-the-art care and treatment for a variety of conditions.
By combining medical expertise and advanced treatment technologies, our orthopedic physicians help treat injuries that affect a patient’s quality of life. These types of conditions include:
- Arthritis pain
- Back pain
- Joint pain
- Pain from strains
Along with conservative medical strategies, which include medication, exercise, physical, occupational and rehabilitative therapy, our orthopedic surgeons perform the most advanced, minimally-invasive surgeries for any injury to the bones, joints, tendons, ligaments and muscles.
Some minimally invasive surgeries include:
- Carpal tunnel release (endoscopic technique)
- Knee replacement (unicompartmental)
- Hip replacement
- Arthroscopy for most joints
- Arthroplasty for joint arthritis
- Release of joint contractures
- Minimally invasive fixations, decompression
- Vertebroplasty or kyphoplasty for spinal compression
These techniques can repair damage through a small incision, which means less pain, and a shorter recovery. With excellent outcomes, our patients typically are able to leave the hospital and start the rehabilitation process sooner, allowing them to recover quickly and get back to their normal life activities.
Sometimes, orthopedic conditions require a more substantive surgical approach. For those instances, our orthopedic and sports medicine specialists perform surgeries with a multi-disciplinary approach.
These types of surgeries include:
- Arthrodesis (joint fusion)
- Primary joint replacements and revisions
- Spine and back surgery
Preparing for Surgery: A preoperative training and education class for joint replacement patients
Providence is dedicated to providing joint replacement with the best possible outcomes and the fastest return to a productive life. In keeping with this goal, the Center for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine at Providence offers a preoperative training class to help you learn more about your upcoming surgery and how to manage the recovery process. This FREE class is specifically for the patients undergoing joint replacement and is designed to help relieve any anxiety you may be feeling about your upcoming surgery. It covers the procedures and treatments you will experience and the options available to you including:
- Education regarding pre- and post-operative activities, nursing care, pain management, equipment, and your role in the recovery process
- Education and training by a physical therapist covering proper post-operative exercise, positioning, movement, walking, use of assistive equipment, and post-operative goals and expectations
- Assistance in preparing yourself and your home for post-operative physical limitations you may not anticipate
- Community resource assistance in planning your return home
Empower yourself with practical advice to help you make informed decisions about your health. For more information about the Preparing for Surgery Program at Providence Saint Joseph Center's Center for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, call 818-496-4395.