If you suspect that you or someone you are with is experiencing a stroke, don't wait - call 911.
St. Mary has earned The Joint Commissions’ Gold Seal of Approval and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check mark for Advanced Certification for Primary Stroke Centers. This achievement of certification demonstrates St. Mary’s commitment to the care of stroke patients by meeting rigorous regulations and requirements including the delivery of care and performance improvement for our stroke patients.
As a Primary Stroke Center, St. Mary has an acute stroke team and neurologist accessible 24/7 with designated stroke beds to track, monitor and report performance measures of our patients. When minutes can significantly impact the outcome of a patient who has suffered a stroke, it is important to have the technology and staff readily available to intervene. By offering a robust stroke care experience, we are able to provide faster care with expert guidance, knowledge and framework that can lead to a more optimal recovery.
- Emergency services, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and able to respond immediately when a stroke is suspected.
- A Stroke Program RN coordinator, who monitors the care of every stroke patient in the hospital, helps assure seamless care through discharge and beyond, and facilitates community awareness regarding stroke.
- Physician specialists, including neurologists.
- Evidence-based protocols for quick and capable response following guidelines established by the American Stroke Association.
- On-site clot-busting medications (tPA) available for administration as indicated.
- Nursing care on the Medical Telemetry and Critical Care Units by nurses who have special training and education in stroke management.
- Rehabilitation services by physical, occupational and speech therapists that begins while the patient is hospitalized and continues on an outpatient basis.
- Screening programs to detect stroke risk, and identify specific preventive measures before a stroke occurs.