Empowered Health by Providence and TGR Foundation
Providence Southern California and TGR Foundation are coming together to form Empowered Health.
This program will serve youth and their families across Southern California by closing the gap on health inequities and igniting interest in health careers. Together with TGR Foundation, a trusted community partner, Providence is committed to creating health for a better world by reducing health disparities and resource inequities and improving the social factors that affect health.
Empowered Health will complement existing TGR Foundation programs by focusing on health equity interventions, health education and workforce development all while ensuring that these services are provided in a welcoming, accessible environment.
Empowered Health provides health equity interventions in line with our commitment to outreach to under-resourced communities.
Plans include free health screenings at pop-up clinics at the TGR Learning Lab, vaccines and blood pressure checks, connections to Providence providers when a higher level of care is needed and community advisory panels to help guide care teams to ensure patients of all ages experience exceptional care in a welcoming culturally-appropriate environment.
Health fairs and webinars featuring age-targeted health topics will be held at the TGR Learning Lab.
At the TGR learning lab we will offer health education featuring:
- Multilingual webinars featuring health topics relevant to children, adolescents and adults
- Health education events and health fairs hosted at the TGR Learning Labs
A key part of this partnership is workforce development. Empowered Health will work to connect students’ passions to the variety of opportunities in health care careers, offering a Pathway Program that will include mentorship from health care professionals, internships that provide real-life experience outside the classroom and, for Providence providers and caregivers, volunteer opportunities. This includes:
- Work with students to build upon their interests and passions by connecting them to various opportunities and skillsets applicable in the health care field
- Meaningful group and 1:1 experiences in addition to mentoring with health care professionals
- Mentorships and internships to provide real-life experiences not available in a classroom setting, while providing volunteer opportunities for Providence providers and caregivers
- Community Health Worker programs for students to prepare them to work in public health, health care and social services