Diabetes Care and Education
At Providence, our goal is to provide exceptional care and support to those affected by diabetes. With individualized care plans and quality education, our comprehensive services can help you live with diabetes in a way that fits your lifestyle.
Whether you have had diabetes for some time or are newly diagnosed, our program offers you and your family the knowledge and self-care skills necessary to live a healthy life.
Diabetes is a serious and complicated condition, but it doesn’t have to control your life. Education is vital for diabetes management. Successful outcomes depend on your active involvement in your care. Diabetes occurs when your body fails to produce enough insulin or does not use insulin properly. If diabetes is not managed it can lead to serious long-term health problems, including heart and kidney disease, stroke, vision problems, nerve damage and poor circulation leading to limb amputations.
By arming yourself with information, regular health care, and a little motivation, you can learn to manage diabetes. We can help. Providence Diabetes Education serves to improve the quality of life for people living with diabetes.
While there is no cure for diabetes, treatments are advancing rapidly. Most of our Providence locations staff certified diabetes educators to help you learn long-term diabetes management skills.
By providing personalized support to fit your diabetic needs, our programs can help prevent complications and help you lead a full life with diabetes. The information and customized support we provide will give you the knowledge and tools to manage your diabetes with confidence.
With access to the most current information regarding diabetes care, these various diabetes management programs provide informative sessions to diabetic patients and their families. These individual and group diabetes education sessions include topics such as:
- Medication management
- Blood glucose monitoring instruction
- Insulin administration
- Lifestyle adjustments
- Healthy coping with diabetic stress
- Diabetes care and management for pre-pregnancy and during pregnancy
- Healthy eating with nutrition guidance, comprehensive meal planning and weight management
- Preventative education for patients with pre-diabetes in order to prevent or delay diabetes
- Resources to community outreach programs
- Overview of diabetes – types, causes and management
- Diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES)
- Diabetes during pregnancy
- Pre-conception planning
- Pregnancy follow-ups
- Gestational diabetes
- Medical nutrition therapy
- Weight management
- Blood glucose meter training
- Evaluation of and understanding blood sugar patterns
- Insulin and other diabetes injectable administration (vial + syringe, pen + pen needles)
- Insulin adjustment
- Insulin pump training
- Continuous glucose monitor training
- Carb to insulin ratios
Diabetes education is covered by Medicare, Medicaid and most insurance companies. Contact a Providence diabetes education location to learn more about financial assistance.
Doctors Specializing in Diabetes Care and Education
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.