From the time you find out that you’re expecting to the moment you hold your newborn, you’ll have capable and compassionate guides at Providence. Our certified nurse midwives are registered nurses with specialized post-graduate education, midwifery training and certification.
By assessing your personal and familial health history, your genetic test results can help determine if you have a high risk of developing cancers and other life-threatening illnesses.
Genetics consultations allow us to create a personalized and customized risk reduction plan suited uniquely for you. Our plans include enhanced screenings, lifestyle and wellness programs, medications and surgery options, as well as specialized cancer genetics programs.
If you or a family member can answer “yes” to any of the following questions, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with one of our genetic counselors:
- Has anyone had breast, colon, uterine, kidney or prostate cancer before age 50?
- Has anyone had ovarian, pancreatic or male breast cancer at any age?
- Has anyone had a rare type of cancer, such as sarcoma, medullary thyroid cancer, paraganglioma or pheochromocytoma?
- Has anyone had more than one type of cancer?
- Has anyone had bilateral cancer, such as breast or kidney?
- Have more than one family member on the same side had cancer (the same or different types)?
- Are you of Eastern European (Ashkenazi) Jewish ancestry? If so, has anyone had breast, ovarian, pancreatic or prostate cancer?
Our genetic and genomic services include risk-assessment, genetic counseling, detailed genetic consultations and genetic testing. In order to better understand and manage your risks, we offer treatment, management and prevention plans personalized for your unique medical need.
We provide these services to anyone who has a personal or familial history of inherited forms of:
- Hereditary cancers (breast, lung, ovarian, uterine, colorectal, prostate)
- Cardiovascular diseases (coronary artery disease, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol)
- Neurological diseases (Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy)
We also welcome individuals and couples interested in preconception carrier screening and other familial conditions.