How to Choose Your Obstetrician (OB) with Confidence
Choosing the right OB is an important step in your pregnancy journey. Take this list of questions with you to your first appointment to help you find an OB partner who’s right for you.
Ask about the OB’s Philosophy of Care
An OB who uses shared decision-making and walks you through your options can help you feel confident before, during and after birth. Whether your pregnancy is uncomplicated or higher risk, learning about your OB’s background can help you find the best care to keep you and your baby safe and find the right fit.
- How would you describe your role as my doctor?
- How long have you been practicing?
- Who will deliver my baby if you’re not available?
- How many C-sections have you performed in the past year?
- Do you accept my insurance?
Ask about the OB’s Prenatal Care
Before and during your pregnancy, you’ll need personalized care and access to ongoing support. Find out how your OB will help you prepare for pregnancy and walk alongside you during your journey.
- How do you feel about shared-decision making?
- How much time will you spend with me during each appointment?
- How will you handle my questions and concerns between appointments?
- Will you still be my doctor if I become high-risk?
- What resources do you use to help me create my birth plan?
Ask about the OB’s Labor and Delivery Care
During this stage, it’s vital to have an OB who respects your choices, offers expertise and gives you the safest option for a smooth delivery – all in a low-pressure environment. Avoid unnecessary interventions that often lead to complications, ask these questions before you enter the delivery room.
- How will you make sure my birth plan is followed in the delivery room?
- What are your thoughts about inducing labor?
- Do you recommend inducing labor for large babies?
- How often do you perform episiotomies and what are the reasons?
- What choices do you offer for pain management?
- Do you support birth without pain medicines? What happens if I change my mind?
- How do you approach stalled labor?
Ask about the OB’s Post-Partum Care
The greatest reward for every OB is seeing patients have a healthy pregnancy, a safe delivery and a vibrant post-partum experience. Find out how your OB will aim to help you and your baby thrive physically and emotionally.
- Can I expect uninterrupted skin-to-skin bonding time immediately after my baby’s birth?
- Can my baby stay with me in my room?
- Can my partner stay as well?
- Can I access breastfeeding help if I need it?
- Will I be screened for depression/anxiety before and after my baby is born, and receive resources for treatment if needed?
Now ask: Are you a good match?
After you’ve interviewed the OB, it’s time to ask yourself some very important questions to make sure they can meet your expectations at this critical time in your life.
- Do the OB’s values align with mine?
- Do I trust the OB’s expertise and judgement?
- Do I like the way the OB communicates?
- Do I feel the OB respects me?
- Does the OB make me feel confident and safe?
It’s your pregnancy. Let Providence be your partner. Find an OB who puts the safety of you and your baby first.