Minimally Invasive Surgery
At Providence, we’re dedicated to the comfort and well-being of each of our patients. By employing minimally invasive surgical techniques, we’re able to help patients treat their conditions carefully and efficiently.
Unlike traditional surgery, minimally invasive surgery uses tiny key-hole sized incisions at the surgical site. Through these incisions, highly specialized surgical instruments are inserted to perform the surgery. These instruments allow your doctors to focus on the treatment area while reducing the possibility of harm or injury to adjacent organs.
Minimally invasive surgery can be performed with an endoscope, a laparoscope, or through robotic assistance and may be applied to a range of areas, including:
- General surgery
- Bariatric weight-loss surgery
- Gynecologic surgery
- Orthopedic surgery
- Prostate surgery
Not everyone is a candidate for minimally invasive surgery. Your surgeon will determine if you are a candidate and discuss your options with you.
Compared to traditional surgery, the benefits of minimally invasive surgery are many and include:
- Shorter hospital stays
- Higher precision with assisted visualization
- Less pain post operation
- Quicker return to home, work and normal activities
- Smaller doses of pain relievers than patients undergoing traditional surgeries
- Smaller, less noticeable scars
- Reduced chance of complications or infections