When children have trouble with their digestive system, our pediatric gastroenterology team knows how to help. We specialize in problems of the esophagus, gallbladder, intestines, liver, pancreas and stomach in children and adolescents.
Kids with gastrointestinal symptoms don’t always know how to describe them the way adults do. Our team is skilled at asking questions children understand. We get the information we need to make sure your child receives the most appropriate care. We’re careful to keep you involved, too. We believe that a close working relationship with you will lead to the best outcomes for your child.
When you turn to Providence for pediatric gastroenterology, you’ll find a kid-friendly environment and diagnostic tests and treatments that are personalized to your children’s needs. We strive to make kids comfortable and get them on the road to wellness.
We evaluate, diagnose and treat the full range of gastrointestinal symptoms and conditions in children, including:
- Abdominal pain
- Celiac disease
- Congenital bowel dysfunction
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Crohn’s disease
- Failure to thrive
- Feeding intolerance
- Food allergies
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Hirschsprung’s disease
- Intestinal motility disorders
- Liver disorders
- Peptic disease
- Post-surgical fecal incontinence
- Ulcerative colitis
Your visit will start with the doctor asking many questions in order to get a very detailed description of your child’s symptoms. This will be followed by a physical examination. If needed, additional tests (blood, stool, or urine tests) or special types of diagnostic imaging (x-rays) may also be requested.
Diagnostic tests, treatments and other services we offer include:
- Breath hydrogen analysis
- Diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy of the bowel, including colonoscopy, flexible sigmoidoscopy, capsule endoscopy and esophagogastroduodenoscopy
- Diagnostic imaging such as an upper GI series, barium enema, abdominal ultrasound, MRI, CT scan and videofluoroscopic swallow study (VFSS)
- Foreign body retrieval from esophagus and stomach
- Impedance and pH monitoring for gastroesophageal reflux
- Liver biopsy
- Nutrition support
- Placement of percutaneous gastrostomy tubes
- Reflux (GERD) monitoring
- Treatment of gastrointestinal bleeding
Doctors Specializing in Pediatric Gastroenterology
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.