Sometimes surgery may be part of the treatment plan that will result in improved health and wellness for your child. That does not make it any less scary and anxiety-inducing for both you and them. At Providence, we understand and are here for you every step of the way.
The pediatric surgery team at Providence offers a full range of surgical services for infants, children and adolescents, including:
- Care for children with burns
- Complex tumor and hepatobiliary (liver, gall bladder) surgery
- Ear, nose and throat surgery
- Elective outpatient surgery
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)
- Head, neck and chest surgery
- Heart inflammation
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Pediatric anesthesia
- Removal of foreign bodies in the airway and esophagus
- Repair of birth defects
- Trauma care
Once your child has been scheduled for surgery, your pediatric surgeon, anesthesiologist and nursing team will go over every step of the process with you. Our surgery center offers spacious private areas for your family during your time with us.
We will do everything we can to offer the least invasive surgical options possible for your child’s procedure. Smaller incisions are particularly important for children because scars stretch and enlarge as your child grows. Other benefits of minimally invasive options include faster recovery time, less pain and shorter hospital stays.
Recovering from surgery can be challenging, especially for children. After surgery, your child may have:
- Constipation and gas
- Extreme thirst
- Nausea from anesthesia, medicine and surgery
- Pain and swelling around the incision
- Sore throat caused by the breathing tube used during their surgery
Our care team will do everything possible to make sure your child is as comfortable as possible after surgery. We will also closely monitor your child for any signs of complications from their procedure.
Serious complications are rare. Your care team will discuss any possible complications with you so you know what to expect before and after surgery. You can count on us for healing and peace of mind for your child and your entire family.