Providence is dedicated to maintaining excellence and integrity in our operations and professional business conduct. Providence promotes an organizational culture that supports ethical conduct and a commitment to comply with all governing laws and regulations not only in the delivery of our health care, insurance and education services, but in our dealings with our workforce members, physicians, faculty, agents, payers and the communities in which we operate.
The Audit and Compliance Committee of the Providence Board of Directors approved and updated the Integrity and Compliance Program Description in 2019. The Providence Compliance Program (Program) applies to all Providence ministries including our hospitals, clinics, senior and community service entities, university, high school and others. The Program also applies to Providence’s wholly owned or controlled entities commonly known as Affiliates, including: Swedish Health Services; Swedish Edmonds; Kadlec Health System; Pacific Medical Centers; and other organizations that may join Providence as an Affiliate unless specifically noted otherwise. Providence and its Affiliates are collectively referred to as "Providence" in all compliance related materials.
The Program Description is a high level summary of steps Providence implemented to incorporate recommended compliance program guidance from the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General. Our Program serves as the foundation for our commitment to an ethical organizational culture and compliance with laws and regulations.
Our Program provides support to our health care, insurance and educational operations through a collaborative partnership with those we serve. This program is intended to provide reasonable assurance that Providence:
- Establishes, monitors, and supports high professional and ethical standards
- Supports initial and continuing compliance education and training
- Complies in all material respects with federal, state and local laws and regulations that are applicable in our operations
- Maintains a mechanism (through the Integrity Hotline at 888-294-8455) for reporting integrity, compliance or legal concerns
- Satisfies the conditions of participation in health care programs funded by the federal and state governments
- Promotes self-monitoring and provides for, in appropriate circumstances, voluntary disclosure of violations of laws and regulations
- Reviews, investigates, and acts on allegations of violations and misconduct
Have an integrity, compliance or legal concern? Use this reporting website to report any activity that appears to violate laws, rules, regulations, standards or federal health care conditions of participation or our Code of Conduct.
The Policy Management Office supports and implements consistent processes for organizational approval of system-wide policies, procedures, and the Code of Conduct. The Policy Management Office works to assure that policies are clearly written, relevant to day-to-day responsibilities, readily available to those who need them, and are re-evaluated on a regular basis.
All Providence workforce members and/or our agents are required to:
- Uphold ethical principles in the workplace;
- Share responsibility and accountability for keeping the organization in compliance with applicable laws, regulations and policies governing business practices; and
- Understand the obligation to promptly report concerns about improper or inappropriate actions without fear of retaliation.