Senior Psychiatric Unit
The Senior Psychiatric Unit at Providence Milwaukie Hospital is specifically tailored to address the unique needs of seniors, providing them with a safe environment, a structured and supportive social milieu, and an effective treatment program. Our goal is to provide compassionate crisis intervention and stabilization. The Senior Psychiatric Unit offers short-term inpatient psychiatric care for one of our most vulnerable populations, patients 60 and older.
Family involvement is highly encouraged to ease the patient’s return to a healthy life. Our care team stays in close contact with relatives in order to have a smooth transition back home or to a residential care facility.
- Recovery model approach through interprofessional trauma-informed and patient-centered care
- Occupational therapy, creative arts therapies, spirituality, recreation and education groups
- A fully landscaped therapeutic garden and comfortable areas for family visitation
- About 70 mental health professionals including physicians, clinical pharmacy specialists in psychiatry, nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, creative arts therapists and certified nursing assistants
- Clinical programming 7 days per week
- 19 private rooms and spacious common areas
- Stays that typically range from 10 to 14 days
- Neurocognitive disorders and early to mid stage dementia with mood and/or behavioral disturbances
- Danger to self or others due to psychiatric condition
- Major depression and severe anxiety
- Bipolar disorder
Providence Inpatient Psychiatric Care offers 24-hour daily inpatient psychiatric care. Our hospital-based programs treat seniors, adults, teens, and we have Oregon’s only acute psychiatric unit for children.
We take most insurance plans, including Medicaid, Medicare and commercial plans.
Our inpatient psychiatric units and chemical dependency stabilization units are located at our four Portland-area hospitals:
Find a Doctor
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.