Senior Psychiatric Unit
Open 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
The Senior Psychiatric Unit at Providence Milwaukie Hospital is specifically tailored to address the unique needs of seniors, providing them with a safe environment, a structured and supportive social milieu, and an effective treatment program. Our goal is to provide compassionate crisis intervention and stabilization. The Senior Psychiatric Unit offers short-term inpatient psychiatric care for one of our most vulnerable populations, patients typically 65 and older.
Family involvement is highly encouraged to ease the patient’s return to a healthy life. Our care team stays in close contact with relatives in order to have a smooth transition back home or to a residential care facility.
- Recovery model approach through interprofessional trauma-informed and patient-centered care
- Occupational therapy, creative arts therapies, spirituality, recreation and education groups
- A fully landscaped therapeutic garden and comfortable areas for family visitation
- About 70 mental health professionals including physicians, clinical pharmacy specialists in psychiatry, nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, creative arts therapists and certified nursing assistants
- Clinical programming 7 days per week
- 19 private rooms and spacious common areas
- Stays that typically range from 10 to 14 days
- Dementia and other neurocognitive disorders with mood and/or behavioral disturbances
- Danger to self or others due to psychiatric condition
- Major depression and severe anxiety
- Bipolar disorder
Providence Inpatient Psychiatric Care offers 24-hour daily inpatient psychiatric care. Our hospital-based programs treat seniors, adults, teens, and we have Oregon’s only acute psychiatric unit for children.
We take most insurance plans, including Medicaid, Medicare and commercial plans.
Our inpatient psychiatric units and chemical dependency stabilization units are located at our four Portland-area hospitals:
What is our goal?Our goal is to provide safety and stabilization in a secure environment for patients experiencing acute psychiatric/behavioral health crises so they may return to their place of origin. The overall length of stay is 10 – 14 days.
Who do we serve?The Senior Psychiatric Unit provides short-term, professional, safe and compassionate crisis intervention for the elderly typically 65 and older. Patients may also have co-morbid medical problems. The typical patient on this unit will have a primary psychiatric diagnosis (depression, schizophrenia, bipolar etc.) or dementia related illness. Patients may have a high risk for suicide or aggression.
How do we serve our patients?We have 19 private rooms. Our staff will provide advanced psychiatric medical and nursing care as well occupational therapy, spiritual care, dance/movement therapy and access to a fully landscaped therapeutic garden. Plans include expanding treatment modalities to further our integrative approach. Patients will be out of their rooms during the day and actively participating in therapy to enhance recovery.
Insurance informationSenior Psychiatric Unit services covered by Medicare and numerous insurance providers.