Bariatric Wellness Center
More energy. Better health. Greater well-being.
There’s so much to gain from losing the weight. We can help you achieve it. The Bariatric Wellness Center offers comprehensive surgical and non-surgical weight loss programs tailored to your personal health, goals and preferences. Our positive approach to weight loss is holistic, which means that we provide ongoing physical, nutritional, emotional and spiritual support to help you realize the health gains you deserve.
Attend our free seminar to learn more:
- Find out about weight loss surgery options and the health benefits of treating unhealthy weight
- Meet our board-certified bariatric surgeons and ask questions
- Hear from former patients whose lives were improved through weight loss surgery
In an effort to limit exposure to COVID-19, in-person seminars are canceled until further notice. As an alternative, you can access our on-demand video series and watch the videos when and where it is convenient for you.
According to guidelines established by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if at least one of these applies to you:
- You weigh 100 or more pounds over ideal body weight
- Your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 40, or greater than 35 if you also have a serious weight-related health condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea or hypertension
- You have weight-related problems and restrictions in mobility, work and performance of family responsibilities
Know Your BMI
This tool is for adults and is not intended to replace evaluation by a healthcare professional.
The Bariatric Wellness Center is designated as an accredited program for bariatric surgery by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. We are devoted to providing high-quality care that meets the needs of every patient.
Whether you choose a surgical or non-surgical weight loss program, you’ll receive education, nutritional guidance, counseling and lifelong follow-up support. Our services include:
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Gastric banding (lap band)
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Body contouring
- Revisional procedures
- Medically supervised weight management programs
- Personalized exercise programs
- Consultation with registered dieticians
- Counseling with psychologists who specialize in weight loss
- Support groups before and after surgery
Most insurance plans accepted.
Each of the bariatric professionals and specialists on your team understands the challenges of unhealthy weight. We work with you to make sure your weight loss program is comfortable, efficient and tailored to your needs. Our core team includes:
- Bariatric surgical specialists
- Registered nurses
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants
Journeys in Bariatric Surgery: Mia's Story
Patient: Mia Young-Adeyeba
Procedure: Gastric Sleeve
Weight Lost: 100 lbs
Individual results vary
My name is Mia and this is my story.
Before vertical sleeve gastrectomy, I can’t remember a time when I would enter a room and not visually assess the chair situation. If there were folding chairs, I knew I’d have to stand because I could not trust the flimsy rivets that held the chair together. In my lifetime, I’ve broken three chairs, two beds and a plastic stepping stool that I had no business stepping on. Making the decision to have bariatric surgery lifted the physical weight and the emotional weight from my shoulders.
Being obese hindered me in so many ways, including my ability to take on new responsibilities at work and restricted activities with my children. Overtime, obesity chipped away at my confidence. I would shrink away from any attention, anticipating the prejudgment that was likely not even there. For years, I tried various diets, sometimes losing a few pounds but always gaining back double or more.
By the time I walked into the bariatric surgeon’s office for my first consultation, my weight had ballooned to 275 lbs. At my heaviest, I was 283 lbs. After this consultation and committing to the surgery, I completed all the steps required over the six month period, with the visit to a dietitian and tour of Providence Little Company of Mary being my last steps. Those last two steps calmed all my fears and anxieties because I was able to learn how to establish a healthy relationship with food, finalize the details of my surgery, ask any questions I had and see the room I’d be recovering in overnight. I was also given a contact number to call if I had additional questions – which were answered almost immediately. This made the day of surgery run very smoothly.
If I could offer some advice to anyone considering bariatric surgery, I’d say:
After my surgery, I was so thankful for the care I received in recovery. The staff was responsive to my needs, helpful with my questions and were always willing to go above and beyond to make me feel comfortable as I eased into my new lifestyle. They sent me home with some sample protein drinks and I felt fully prepared to conquer the next phase of my journey. I would not have felt so comfortable and confident going home if it was not for the care and attention I received from the doctors, nurses and the whole team at Providence Little Company of Mary.
- Document your progress! I started documenting my journey on social media (Instagram: @bellybum.vsg), which provided me with supportive feedback and encouragement I didn’t know I needed.
- Take lots of ‘before’ pictures. You’ll be so amazed at the side by side photos once you start losing weight.
- Look, but don’t compare. Let other people’s journey encourage you rather than be a source of comparison. Results vary!
- Take some time for self-care. It’s important to let your body heal after surgery and beyond. Make some time for yourself. Journal, make a bucket list or read that book that’s been on your shelf for months, etc.
This experience has changed my life for the better. The “non scale victories” such as the ability to cross my legs, having slack on an airplane seatbelt, fitting into a size ‘small’ shirt for the first time, are just as exciting as watching your number drop on the scale. 100 pounds, gone forever! The journey continues ...