More energy. Better health. Greater well-being.
There’s so much to gain from losing the weight. We can help you achieve it. St Joseph Hospital is one of Southern California’s most experienced and respected bariatric surgery hospitals:
- Recognized as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Bariatric Surgery by the Women's Choice Awards®
- A Cigna Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery
- Designated as a Blue Distinction Center® for Bariatric Surgery, a Blue Cross Blue Shield Association designation that recognizes quality, effectiveness and safety
- Accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program
- Named one of the Best Regional Hospitals in the Los Angeles/Orange County Metropolitan Area by U.S. News & World Report — five years in a row
According to guidelines established by the National Institutes of Health, you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if at least one of the following applies to you:
- You weigh 100 or more pounds over ideal body weight
- Your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 40, or greater than 35 if you also have a serious weight-related health condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea or hypertension
- You have weight-related problems and restrictions in mobility, work and performance of family responsibilities
Know Your BMI
This tool is for adults and is not intended to replace evaluation by a healthcare professional.
The Bariatric Surgery Program at St. Joseph Hospital takes a holistic approach to care that encompasses total wellness — body, mind and spirit. We provide physical, nutritional, emotional and spiritual care before, during and after your bariatric surgery to support your long-term success.
St. Joseph Hospital's Bariatric Surgery Program surgical prerequisites include the following:
- You must be between 18 and 65 years old.
- You must have no history of drug or alcohol abuse within the past three years.
- You must be a non-smoker.
- You must undergo a medical evaluation and workup to ensure that you are in the best possible condition prior to surgery.
- You must undergo a psychiatric evaluation for stability and demonstrate a clear understanding of the procedure, responsibilities, reasonable outcomes and post-surgical expectations and guidelines.
- You must undergo a series of dietary education classes and complete all classes prior to your surgery date.
- You must demonstrate a commitment and readiness for a lifestyle change before surgery by modifying behavior and eating habits to ensure successful, long-term weight loss
- You must be willing to participate fully in our multidisciplinary bariatric program.
- You must agree to long-term follow up with your bariatric surgeon after your weight loss surgery.
The Bariatric Surgery Program is proud to achieve comprehensive accreditation from the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program®
This accreditation means our program has demonstrated an uncompromising commitment to quality that has earned the confidence, respect, and trust of patients making a lifetime commitment to healthier living.
We are devoted to providing high-quality care that meets the needs of every patient.
The Bariatric Surgery Program is proud to be recognized by Blue Shield of California and Anthem Blue Cross as a Blue Distinction® Center for Bariatric Surgery, as part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program. Blue Distinction Centers are nationally designated health care facilities that show a commitment to delivering high quality patient safety and better health outcomes, based on objective measures that were developed with input from the medical community and leading accreditation and quality organizations.
Our experienced bariatric surgeons have performed nearly 3,000 bariatric procedures, and work with a multidisciplinary team to help you achieve long-term weight loss success. Our team of experts includes:
- Registered dietitian
- Physical therapist
- Exercise physiologist
- Meditation/spirituality specialist
- Acute-care surgical and post-op team
- Program coordinator
The Bariatric Surgery Program offers several surgical options, as well as ongoing education and support for every patient. Our services include:
- Gastric banding
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Revision bariatric surgery
- Informational seminars
- Patient resources, including a certified bariatric registered nurse that will help guide patients along their weight loss journey
- Family resources
- Support groups
- Nutrition education
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Pre-op physician-supervised weight loss program
- Exercise, yoga and body conditioning information