More energy. Better health. Greater well-being.
There’s so much to gain from losing the weight. We can help you achieve it. St Joseph Hospital is one of Southern California’s most experienced and respected bariatric surgery hospitals:
- Recognized as one of America’s Best Hospitals for Bariatric Surgery by the Women's Choice Awards®
- A Cigna Center of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery
- Designated as a Blue Distinction Center® for Bariatric Surgery, a Blue Cross Blue Shield Association designation that recognizes quality, effectiveness and safety
- Accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program
- Named one of the Best Regional Hospitals in the Los Angeles/Orange County Metropolitan Area by U.S. News & World Report — five years in a row
Attend our free seminar to learn more:
- Find out about weight loss surgery options and the benefits of treating unhealthy weight
- Meet our board-certified bariatric surgeons and ask questions
- Hear from former patients who are now living healthier lives
In an effort to limit exposure to COVID-19, in-person seminars are canceled until further notice. As an alternative, you can access our on-demand video series and watch the videos when and where it is convenient for you.
According to guidelines established by the National Institutes of Health, you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery if at least one of the following applies to you:
- You weigh 100 or more pounds over ideal body weight
- Your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 40, or greater than 35 if you also have a serious weight-related health condition such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea or hypertension
- You have weight-related problems and restrictions in mobility, work and performance of family responsibilities
Know Your BMI
This tool is for adults and is not intended to replace evaluation by a healthcare professional.
St. Joseph Hospital's Bariatric Surgery Program surgical prerequisites include the following:
- You must be between 18 and 65 years old.
- You must have no history of drug or alcohol abuse within the past three years.
- You must be a non-smoker.
- You must undergo a medical evaluation and workup to ensure that you are in the best possible condition prior to surgery.
- You must undergo a psychiatric evaluation for stability and demonstrate a clear understanding of the procedure, responsibilities, reasonable outcomes and post-surgical expectations and guidelines.
- You must undergo a series of dietary education classes and complete all classes prior to your surgery date.
- You must demonstrate a commitment and readiness for a lifestyle change before surgery by modifying behavior and eating habits to ensure successful, long-term weight loss
- You must be willing to participate fully in our multidisciplinary bariatric program.
- You must agree to long-term follow up with your bariatric surgeon after your weight loss surgery.
The Bariatric Surgery Program at St. Joseph Hospital takes a holistic approach to care that encompasses total wellness — body, mind and spirit. We provide physical, nutritional, emotional and spiritual care before, during and after your bariatric surgery to support your long-term success.
Our experienced bariatric surgeons have performed nearly 3,000 bariatric procedures, and work with a multidisciplinary team to help you achieve long-term weight loss success. Our team of experts includes:
- Registered dietitian
- Physical therapist
- Exercise physiologist
- Meditation/spirituality specialist
- Acute-care surgical and post-op team
- Program coordinator
The Bariatric Surgery Program offers several surgical options, as well as ongoing education and support for every patient. Our services include:
- Gastric banding
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- Revision bariatric surgery
- Informational seminars
- Patient resources, including a certified bariatric registered nurse that will help guide patients along their weight loss journey
- Family resources
- Support groups
- Nutrition education
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Pre-op physician-supervised weight loss program
- Exercise, yoga and body conditioning information