Healthy Weight Management
If you are overweight, losing weight can help improve your overall health and reduce your risk of chronic conditions like heart disease and diabetes. The Providence Weight Loss team provides the support and tools you need to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. We work with you to create a plan that addresses your unique needs and weight loss goals. We are here to help you lose weight safely and effectively.
We are your partner in addressing your biggest health challenges. We make sure to understand your needs and recommend the best weight loss solutions for you.
Options differ by location and can include:
- Digital weight loss support and tools
- In-person classes and support
- Non-surgical weight loss treatment
- Phone support
- Surgical weight loss (bariatric surgery)
Our dedicated care team is here to answer questions and help you reach your weight loss and health goals.
If you are interested in one of our weight loss programs, please talk to your doctor about your weight loss goals, or contact our Patient & Provider Engagement Center (PEC).
Extra weight can make existing health conditions worse or lead to additional health problems. Our healthy weight programs can help you manage the following health conditions often linked to being overweight or obese:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Sleep apnea
While eligibility for our programs varies, we work with patients with a body mass index of 25 or higher. Program fees and insurance coverage depend on the coverage of your specific health insurance plan.
You and your doctor will work with our team to create the best plan for your specific weight management goals and needs. You can attend classes and programs at our weight loss, lifestyle and wellness centers or connect with your team by phone, email or text.
Not all services are available in all regions.
Exercise and Coaching Services
Losing weight is more than just counting calories. Changing your diet is essential to success, but so is taking care of your mind and moving your body. To help you make lasting changes we offer:
- Behavioral counseling. Our counselors will meet with you to ensure you are feeling good about yourself and your progress during your weight loss journey. Our counselors talk with you about any feelings of anxiety or depression and any concerns you may have.
- Exercise programs. Exercise is important when trying to lose weight and improve your health. When you are ready to begin exercising, we offer group classes and individualized personal training.
We offer several classes to help you change your eating habits. Our registered dietitians and nutrition team teach you how to eat right and live well. Options include:
- Classes that focus on good eating habits
- Medically supervised, structured weight management programs
As part of our surgical weight loss program, we offer weekly education and telephone follow-up calls to make sure your surgery is as successful as possible. If surgical weight loss is right for you, your doctor will talk to you about which option is best. Some of the procedures they may recommend include:
- Gastric bypass procedure. This surgery limits the amount of food you can eat. The stomach is reduced to a small pouch and connected directly to the small intestine.
- Lap-band procedure. This minimally invasive technique uses an adjustable band to reduce the size of the stomach to a small pouch. The rest of the stomach remains in place but does not receive food.
- Lap sleeve procedure. This minimally invasive surgery reduces the size of the stomach to a small sleeve. A large part of the stomach is removed, restricting the amount you can eat.
Each of the weight loss programs we offer at Providence is uniquely geared toward the populations we serve. Your doctor will talk to you about the programs and surgical options available to you in your area.