Providence Dethman House
Providence Dethman House
Welcome to Providence Dethman House. Our HUD-subsidized apartment building is built especially for seniors 62 years and older and younger adults with disabilities. We’re conveniently located between downtown Hood River and The Heights.
Our building is named for the family of Frank and Anna Dethman, longtime members of the Hood River community and owners of Dethman Orchards, a commercial pear farm. The Dethman family generously contributed to the construction of Dethman House, making quality affordable housing available to those in need in our community.
In order to submit an application for housing at Providence Dethman House, you must meet the following initial eligibility requirements. Other eligibility criteria for housing will be verified when an application reaches the top of the wait list (e.g. criminal background check, student status, etc.).
- At the time of application, the head of household, spouse or co-head of household must be 62 years of age or older, or be 18 years of age or older with a verifiable disability
- Maximum household size for a one-bedroom apartment is two persons
- Applicants must disclose their social security numbers at the time of application, and will be required to provide documentation during the initial eligibility process
- Your income must be at or below HUD’s financial criteria for receiving rental assistance, which is 50% of the Area Median Income for Hood River County, OR. HUD income limits as of April 20, 2022 are:
- 1-Person Household: $29,450
- 2-Person Household: $33,650
*HUD Income Limits are subject to change without notice.
Please review the Tenant Selection Plan for further eligibility requirements that may impact eligibility for housing.
- Air conditioning
- Full kitchens/kitchenettes
- Private bathroom with a tub or walk-in/roll-in shower, complete with grab bars ADA compliant apartments available
- Open living space
- Built-in storage in unit
- On-site laundry facility
- Computer with Internet access
- Indoor mailboxes
- Welcoming community spaces including a social room and an outdoor patio
One small pet is allowed with a pet deposit.
We provide a mix of recreational and educational programming for our residents. Regularly scheduled activities include:
- Wii Games
- Chair yoga
- Movie nights
- Monthly resident potlucks
- Holiday celebrations
- Mother Joseph Day and Emilie Gamelin Day events
These two documents provide important information to you about living in subsidized housing. We encourage you to review them both before completing your application.
The Tenant Selection Plan provides further detail about eligibility, application/verification procedures, screening criteria, waitlist order, unit occupancy standards, reasonable accommodations, and more.
The EIV And You Brochure describes HUD’s Enterprise Income Verification system, which we are required to use to verify sources and amounts of income.
Interested in living at Providence Dethman House? Follow these steps to check your eligibility, review some important information about applying for and living in HUD subsidized housing and complete your application.
Completed applications must be printed, signed and mailed to the management office of the House(s) you’re applying to. Applicants who appear to meet all eligibility requirements will be added to the wait list and will be contacted when their application nears the top.
Now you’re ready to complete your application materials. Please review these materials carefully, and complete all sections of the application and attached documents. Incomplete applications will be returned to you, causing a delay in adding your application to the wait list. If you have any questions while you are completing these materials, please contact the management office.
Please sign your completed application materials and mail them to the address listed on the application.
You may contact the office at any time to check on the status of your application. If your phone number or address changes, or you have a change in household composition, income, or other circumstances that may affect your application, you must contact the office to update information on your application.
It may be helpful to bookmark this page in your web browser, or make note of the office contact information and the date you applied for housing.
Every Season is a Reason to Celebrate, that’s Hood River’s motto! Providence Dethman House is located in the heart of the city, surrounded by the city’s natural beauty.
Getting around town is easy thanks to the Columbia Area Transit (CAT). CAT provides dial-a-ride, door-to-door service to the Hood River County communities. You can also take advantage of CATs fixed-route weekday service several times a day along Interstate 84 from Hood River to The Dalles and back to Hood River. Pick-ups are located throughout town, including outside Hood River Memorial Hospital which is right next door to Providence Dethman House. And, if you need to travel further, CAT connects to Greyhound for trip to The Dalles, Cascade Locks, Portland and points east.
Living at Providence Dethman House means you’ll have easy access to grocery stores and key services. Safeway and Rosauers grocery stores are just one mile away, and Farm Stand in the Gorge, a natural food market, is ½ a mile away. For your health and wellness needs, Hood River Memorial Hospital is next door and there are several medical offices and clinics nearby. We are also close to several national pharmacy chains including a Rite Aid and Walgreens.
Restaurants, coffee shops, banks, a movie theater, places of worship and a post office are all in close proximity.
Additional attractions and points of interest include:
- Downtown Hood River: There are plenty of great shopping and dining options downtown
- Hood River Event Site: Here you will find parks, bike paths, windsurfing, kite boarding and dining
- Hood River County Fruit Loop: Featuring wineries, brewers, orchards, alpaca farms and seasonal farm stands
- History Museum
- Columbia Arts Center
- Senior Center
- Hood River County Library
- Mt. Hood Meadows and Historic Timberline Lodge
- The beautiful Hood and Columbia Rivers