Providence Emilie House
Providence Emilie House
Welcome to Providence Emilie House, a place where residents enjoy an atmosphere of peace and serenity and the comfort of knowing everyone is accepted exactly as they are. We’re pleased to offer 40 spacious, affordable one-bedroom apartments for seniors age 62 years and older and younger adults with a mobility impairment.
In addition to providing tenants with a safe place to home in a vibrant community, we also provide services coordination to help residents find and access local resources and services.
“It’s so nice to have a clean, safe building and a place to call your own.” –Providence Emilie House Resident
In order to submit an application for housing at Providence Emilie House, you must meet the following initial eligibility requirements. Other eligibility criteria for housing will be verified when an application reaches the top of the wait list (e.g. criminal background check, student status, etc.).
- At the time of application, the head of household, spouse or co-head of household must be 62 years of age or older, or 18 years or older with a verifiable disability that requires residency in a mobility unit
- Maximum household size for a one-bedroom apartment is two persons
- Applicants must disclose their social security numbers at the time of application, and will be required to provide documentation during the initial eligibility process
- Household income must be at or below HUD’s financial criteria for receiving rental assistance, which is 50% of the Area Median Income for Multnomah County, OR. HUD income limits as of April 20, 2022 are:
- 1-Person Household: $37,300
- 2-Person Household: $42,600
*HUD Income Limits are subject to change without notice.
Please review the Tenant Selection Plan for further eligibility requirements that may impact eligibility for housing.
Providence Emilie House is a three-story, controlled access building with an elevator. Each private one-bedroom apartment is approximately 550 square feet and equipped with all the comforts of home.
Three of our apartments are designed for wheelchair use. These apartments have lower countertops, wider doors, wide turning radius in the kitchen and bathroom, lower door knobs and electrical switches, a taller toilet, and open space below the kitchen and bathroom sinks for easier access.
- Air conditioning
- Full kitchen
- Full pantry
- Private bathroom with a tub, complete with grab bars and an emergency pull cord
- ADA compliant apartments available
- Open living space
- On-site laundry
- Computer station with Internet access
- Mailbox delivery
- Welcoming community spaces including raised garden beds, a shared patio, community room with a large-screen TV and a library
On-site support services include:
- On-site social services coordination 12 hours each week
One small pet is allowed with a pet deposit.
At Providence Emilie House you’ll find a close-knit community and opportunities to join a wide range of educational and recreational activities. Our typical activity calendar includes:
- Movie night
- Monthly potlucks
- Quarterly birthday party
- Holiday celebrations
- Board games
- Grocery shopping transportation by local agencies
- Food box delivery (monthly)
- Wii games
- Mother Joseph Day and Emilie Gamelin Day celebrations in honor of our founders
- Quarterly building meetings
- Group discussions
- Community education/wellness classes
- National Night Out event
These two documents provide important information to you about living in subsidized housing. We encourage you to review them both before completing your application.
The Tenant Selection Plan provides further detail about eligibility, application/verification procedures, screening criteria, waitlist order, unit occupancy standards, reasonable accommodations, and more.
The EIV And You Brochure describes HUD’s Enterprise Income Verification system, which we are required to use to verify sources and amounts of income.
Interested in living at Providence Emilie House? Follow these steps to check your eligibility, review some important information about applying for and living in HUD subsidized housing and complete your application.
Completed applications must be printed, signed and mailed to the management office of the House(s) you’re applying to. Applicants who appear to meet all eligibility requirements will be added to the wait list and will be contacted when their application nears the top.
Now you’re ready to complete your application materials. Please review these materials carefully, and complete all sections of the application and attached documents. Incomplete applications will be returned to you, causing a delay in adding your application to the wait list. If you have any questions while you are completing these materials, please contact the management office.
Please sign your completed application materials and mail them to the address listed on the application.
You may contact the office at any time to check on the status of your application. If your phone number or address changes, or you have a change in household composition, income, or other circumstances that may affect your application, you must contact the office to update information on your application.
It may be helpful to bookmark this page in your web browser, or make note of the office contact information and the date you applied for housing.
Located just off I-84 in Portland’s North Tabor neighborhood, Providence Emilie House is close to several transportation resources to help you get around town. There is a bus stop ½ a block away. A major bus line runs in both directions. Westbound buses head downtown and eastbound buses go to a major transit station (Gateway). The light rail (MAX) is approximately 7 blocks away.
If you like the outdoors, there’s no shortage of places to go explore. Normandale Park is less than a 15-minute walk away and it includes walking paths, an off-leash dog area, picnic sites and athletic fields. We are also close to Mt. Tabor Park and the city bike route.
Providence Emilie House is within walking distance of grocery stores, places of worship, banks, coffee shops and restaurants. In addition, Providence Portland Medical Center is five blocks away, Providence Medical Clinic – Glisan is ½ a block away and there are several pharmacies nearby.