St. Elias Specialty Hospital is owned by Providence Health System. The hospital has 59 beds, almost all private rooms. The facility features state of the art equipment to provide extended inpatient acute care for patients.
At St. Elias Specialty Hospital, we provide customized, physician-driven services for patients requiring longer stays in an acute care environment due to multiple or complex medical conditions. We are not a permanent placement for patients; rather we are an answer for many patients who are acutely ill and need to take the first steps towards rehabilitation or home.
Most of our patients are admitted from a traditional acute care hospital, often from the Intensive Care Unit. Families of patients are welcome to contact us to see if we might be an option for their loved one.
For physicians the process is easy. Simply write an order to “Consult St. Elias Specialty Hospital of Alaska”. The nurse or case manager receiving the order will call us to arrange for a Clinical Nurse Liaison to evaluate your patient.
Patient is/ or may have:
- Multi-system failure
- TPN needs
- MRSA/VRE or other complicated infections
- Complex Wounds
Patient may require some the following treatments, but are not limited to:
- Ventilator/Tracheostomy Management
- Extensive respiratory care/tracheostomy/chest tubes
- Cardiac monitoring
- Extensive wound care
- IV antibiotic therapy
- Daily physician visit
Other general indicators of a patient’s LTACH/LTCH eligibility:
- Patient is currently in ICU
- Patient’s medical needs are too extensive to transfer to lower level of care, such as a skilled nursing facility, rehabilitation unit, or home health.
- Patient’s rehabilitation is compromised by acute medical issues.
- Patients are at risk for medical complications upon discharge.
- Patient has history of multiple readmissions
Free pregnancy and parenting app
Circle® is a free pregnancy and parenting app that provides useful health resources, top-notch pregnancy calculator and tools to help track ovulation, weight, blood pressure, and vaccinations. Enjoy easy access to program information, services and classes, too!
From early pregnancy through your child’s toddler and teen years, Circle customizes information based on your family’s needs. Plus, when you connect to MyChart through Circle, you will receive appointment reminders for you and your children.