Clinical Internship in Grief Counseling
“No clinical work is more intimate than that with clients in grief or facing a loved one’s end-of-life.”
Train with a team of professionals at a highly regarded 40+ year old community hospice where individual, family, and group counseling is provided to Hospice patient families and members of the community. Develop skills in areas including:
- Family Systems Work with multi-generational families, couples and individuals
- Assessment and Treatment of cognitive, emotional, physical, social & spiritual manifestations of complicated grief
- Complicated & Traumatic Grief Therapy interventions including: internal resource building, affect regulation, psycho-education
- Child and Teen Counseling: Play Therapy, Art Therapy, Filial Therapy & Groups
Associates provide up to 12 individual or family sessions plus 1 group session weekly. Trainees provide up to 10 total direct clinical hours a week which include individual & family sessions, group support and telehealth counseling. Extensive training and supervision meet requirements of the BBS and Graduate Degree Programs. Additional hours include weekly clinical team meetings, care management, and electronic charting.
The internship is 20 hours/week. A 12 month commitment is required. This position is unpaid.
Second Year Option: If continuing into the second year training option, some interns focus clinical work on counseling people at End of Life and families experiencing Anticipatory Grief.
"Excellent supervision helped me master a diversity of therapeutic challenges.”
“The atmosphere of the whole Hospice community supported a collaborative intern team.”
“A great opportunity to work with the entire life span.”
- Master’s degree or current enrollment in a Master’s Program in the mental health field.
- Registration as an Associate with the Board of Behavioral Sciences preferred.
- Bilingual (Spanish) interns are encouraged to apply.
- Ability to work on TUESDAY and travel between two sites if needed.
To apply, send a detailed cover letter and resume to: Yolande.Adams@StJoe.org.