Also known as: Cancer social work, Social work, oncology, Social work, cancer
What an Oncology Social Worker Can Do for You
Our Oncology Social Workers are trained counselors who help patients and families cope with the emotional stresses and practical concerns associated with cancer. Social Work services are provided at NO CHARGE to Providence cancer patients and their families.
- Counseling to improve coping with cancer and treatment
- Counseling to manage anxiety and depression
- Cancer support groups
- Counseling for family members impacted by your cancer
- Assistance communicating with your health care team
- Assistance with understanding Social Security Disability
- Assistance with transportation, local housing during treatment, and caregiving
- Connection to financial assistance and community resources
- Advance Care Planning: A process for planning and sharing your health care preferences with family and health care providers. This can include assistance completing an advance directive and identifying someone to speak for you.
Contact your care team to be connected with an Oncology Social Worker.