Compassion in action
The volunteers at Providence Little Company of Mary San Pedro make up a core group of individuals that are vital in helping us carry out our mission and commitment to serving our patients and community. Altogether we have more than 300 volunteers, including adults and high school students. Whether our volunteers are working in the gift shop, information desk, emergency room or delivering flowers, helping others in their healing process is a very satisfying and inspiring experience.
Give a little, get a lot!
Volunteers are a vital part of our ministry, helping us serve patients and our community. In exchange for your time and talents, you will reap the rewards of providing compassionate care to those in need.
If you join our team, you will:
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Provide compassion and support to patients and loved ones
- Help us improve the hospital experience for patients
- Develop new skills
- Become part of a team
- Enjoy cafeteria and gift shop discounts
- Have the opportunity to attend Auxiliary luncheons and Annual Awards event
One of the most important reasons for becoming a Providence Little Company of Mary Volunteer is to make a positive impact on the community.
We are proud to offer our volunteers a unique and diverse experience. We have many rewarding volunteer opportunities working with patients, helping families and visitors, and assisting hospital staff. Examples include:
- Provide information and directions to visitors, patients and staff
- Greet visitors and escort patients
- Serve in our surgery department and nursing units
- Deliver flowers and mail to patients
- Assist customers in the Auxiliary Gift Shop
- Perform general office duties
- Help staff with special projects
- And more!
We cannot guarantee assignments, but we attempt to place volunteers in assignments that will make the best use of their talents, based on the needs of the hospital.
How do I become a volunteer?
If you can commit to our requirements, we invite you to complete our online application form (adult program only).
Please be sure you are able to meet the requirements before submitting your application for consideration. The application process does not guarantee placement into our program. We screen applicants based on skills, potential fit and availability. After we receive your application, we will contact you within two weeks to let you know if you have been selected.
Thank you for your interest in applying to our program. Because volunteers are a vital part of our team, we have some requirements. Placement in a volunteer assignment is based on volunteer’s availability, skills and suitability as well as current openings and hospital needs. Volunteer placement is not guaranteed.
Before applying to our program, be sure you can commit to the following expectations:
- Must be at least 18 years old and out of High School
- Commit to serve as a volunteer for one year, fulfilling an assigned four-hour shift each week
- Commit to a serving a minimum of 100 hours
- Attend a mandatory four-hour orientation
- Pass a TB blood test provided by Providence
- Pass a criminal background check provided by Providence
- Complete eight hours of training (two four-hour training sessions)
- Able to provide their own uniform (white pants, white shirt and white shoes)
- Purchase a Providence volunteer jacket
- Join the Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center San Pedro Volunteer Auxiliary, with annual dues of $15, and attend luncheon events
Because our Volunteer Program is focused on volunteer services, it is not considered a step to employment. If you wish to seek employment at Providence Little Company of Mary, please see visit our careers website.
Ready to apply?
For 2020, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not accepting new applications at this time. We are evaluating our High School program and may suspend new recruitment until 2021. Please check back periodically for updates.
The Providence Little Company of Mary San Pedro High School volunteer program for youths consists of approximately 75 students ranging in age from 15 to 18. These students work evenings and weekends, giving back to the community and experiencing what it is like to work in the health care industry.
The High School volunteer program requires a commitment to a full one-year volunteer position with either a weekly four-hour assigned shift during the weekdays or a four-hour assigned shift on weekends. Applicants must be at least 15 years old.
How do I become a high school volunteer?
We accept online applications for our high school program, once a year in the spring (see below). Online applications will only be reviewed and considered if submitted during the application window.
Please note: due to the high volume of applications we receive and limited space, we will not be able to accept everyone into our program.
- Must be 15 years of age by July 1
- Must commit to a full one-year volunteer position with a weekly four-hour assigned shift:
- Weekdays: 4-8 p.m.
- Weekends: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. or 1-5 p.m.
- Complete and submit the online application between May 1 and 2. Exception: For 2020, due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are not accepting new applications at this time. We are evaluating our High School program and may suspend new recruitment until 2021. Please check back periodically for updates.
- Download the High School Volunteer Program Information Sheet
All Providence Little Company of Mary adult volunteers are asked to join the Volunteer Auxiliary. Members serve patients, visitors and caregivers through their volunteer services and provide fundraising support to the hospital.
Since 1948, the Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center San Pedro Auxiliary has raised funds through special events and sales in the Gift Shop to support health career scholarships and hospital services and programs.
Auxiliary Board of Directors
|Vice-President and Scholarships||Marilyn Weiss|
|Co-VP, Ways and Means||Julie Mason|
|Co-VP, Ways and Means||Barbara Bettis|
|Recording Secretary||Michelle Sheridan|
|Corresponding Secretary||Ruby Miller|
|Gift Shop Co-Chair||Irene Lopez|
|Gift Shop Co-Chair||Nancy Di Bernardo|
|Hours and Awards||Toni Gemmell|
|Information Desk||Nancy Lund|
|Scholarships||Cathy Di Bernardo|
|Telephone Chair||Alice Jacobson|
The Providence Little Company of Mary Auxiliary Gift Shop is a valuable resource for patients, visitors and hospital staff. Our volunteer staff in our non-profit boutique are ready to assist you with a wide range of gift ideas and personal items.
The Shop is conveniently located in the main Lobby. VISA and MasterCard are accepted. A free Gift bag with tissue and ribbon is offered with your purchase.
Call 310-832-3311 (X1596166) to order, or for more information.
Monday: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
Tuesday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday: 12-5 p.m.
Sunday: 1-6 p.m.
Items for sale
We proudly offer flower arrangements from Fleur De Lys Artistry in Flowers. Flowers, plants and balloons are not allowed in ICU Rooms.
- Greeting cards
- Baby gifts, clothing and stuffed animals
- Candy, gum and snacks
- Boutique apparel and accessories
- Jewelry and handbags
- Rosaries and religious figurines
- Seasonal gift items
Proceeds benefit Providence Little Company of Mary San Pedro services and programs. Thank you for your support!