Neonatal Intensive Care Units
If issues emerge during pregnancy or delivery, Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance provides 24-hour care for the special needs of your baby.
Our California Children’s Services Certified Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is specially designed to care for premature and high-risk babies and offers family-centered care and comfort for babies and their parents.
All parents look forward to healthy pregnancies and routine deliveries, but if something unexpected should happen, our Level III Neonatal ICU is a technologically-advanced unit capable of caring for the unique needs of your baby. The NICU has equipment designed for infants and a hospital staff who have special training in newborn care.
In an effort to provide top quality care, our NICU features fully-equipped single family rooms. These private spaces provide numerous benefits to both the baby and family including:
- Customized sound, temperature and light based on each infant's needs
- Privacy of the family to spend time with their newborns, each other, and to confer with doctors and other medical care providers
- The space and flexibility to deliver the specialized care a baby may need in one location rather than having to move the baby within the unit
- The ability to provide the best isolation and a decreased risk of infection for babies with a compromised immune system
- The private space to foster active participation of parents in the medical care of their baby
- Shorter hospital stays and reduced readmission rates (based on studies) by fostering the close participation of parents
At the NICU, we understand that each infant has individual needs that require specific treatment plans. This is why each of our newborn patients is assigned a personal NICU team. These teams consist of:
- Neonatal nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- Lactation consultants
- Laboratory technologists
- Social workers
- Case managers
Take a virtual tour of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Watch how the NICU brings together technology, training and support to create a place where newborns and parents can thrive.