The Stroke Center at Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center provides compassionate care in a state-of-the-art setting with the highest-level specialty certifications in the San Fernando Valley.
Our team of neurologists and stroke specialists offer the full spectrum of care for stroke patients that includes diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment, rehabilitation, support services and on-going stroke education.
Part of the Hycy and Howard Hill Neuroscience Institute, our Stroke Center is certified by The Joint Commission at one of its highest levels as a Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center. Other certifications include:
- American Heart Association Get With the Guidelines – Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award and Target: Stroke Elite Plus Honor Roll
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) accreditation for Acute Rehabilitation and accreditation for stroke subspecialty
Many kinds of heart diseases can greatly increase a patient’s risk for stroke. If clots form in the heart or in the valves, there's a chance they can travel to the brain and cause a stroke. We make sure to carefully monitor heart disease and treat each patient as completely as possible.
Depending on the type of stroke, its location, and a patient's personal medical history, treatments for stroke may include:
- "Clot-buster" medications (Tissue Plasminogen Activator or tPA)
- Medications to reduce brain swelling
- Medications to help protect the brain
- Life support measures
- Carotid endarterectomy – procedure to remove accumulated plaque in the carotid artery
- Cerebral angioplasty – balloons, stents and coils are used to treat some types of problems in the brain's blood vessels