At St. Mary Medical Center, we believe the measure of an organization is deeply rooted in its people, and we wouldn’t be able to heal and serve the community without our volunteers.
For nearly half a century, this indispensable group of caring, giving and dedicated individuals touch the lives of our patients and the fabric of our organization with their commitment to Compassion, Dignity, Excellence, Justice and Integrity in the High Desert communities we serve.
Whether you’re interested in giving back to your community or exploring health careers as a volunteer, we have a place for you to lend a helping hand. Some ways to do so are:
- Front Desk Ambassador: You will have the opportunity to meet new people, gain incredible customer service experience, escort family members to their destination, deliver flowers and make a significant difference in people’s lives.
- Gift Shop: Our gift shop is run top to bottom by our dedicated volunteers from shipping and receiving, stocking, ordering, displaying and cashiering. They help ensure positive relationships with our guests, provide service in finding merchandise for customers and handle sales.
- Care Ambassador: Care ambassadors visit patients and offer a warm welcome; provide necessary hospital toiletries, magazines and help with ordering meals; and offer information to patients regarding various hospital services. They have the opportunity to work collaboratively with unit RNs, Supervisors and Team Leaders to identify opportunities to improve the patient experience.
- Shuttle Driver: The shuttle drivers provide transportation for patients, visitors and associates to and from the parking lots and hospital. Requires DMV print out of driving record, copy of valid California driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- Clerical Support: For volunteers who have specific clerical talents such as typing, power point presentations, data inputting, pie charts, etc., the volunteer services department can utilize your services. You would volunteer directly with the Director of Volunteer Services.
For our younger stewards of care, we’re proud to have an active Junior Volunteer program for volunteers between the ages of 16 and 17. Our younger volunteers work in various departments throughout the medical center. Due to a high demand, we ask that Junior Volunteers join our waiting list up to a year prior to volunteering.
The first step in becoming a St. Mary volunteer is to download an application.
Once you have completed this pre-application form, you can submit it via email or postal service. We will contact you regarding the possibility of volunteering at St. Mary within 7 to 10 business days of receipt of your pre-application.
- Submit your application via email.
- Or mail to:
St. Mary Medical Center
18300 Highway 18
Apple Valley, CA 92307
All applications are reviewed by our Manager of Volunteer Services. We review each application carefully and work to match an applicant’s interests, background, motivation, availability and previous experience with our needs.
Once accepted into the program, clearance following the interview includes:
- Background check (2-3 weeks, Adults only)
- Health Assessment and immunizing screening, which includes Tuberculosis (TB) skin testing and labs. For those with a history of positive TB skin test, a chest x-ray will be ordered
- Picture for badge
- All must attend an all-day hospital orientation (on a Monday)