Healthy Lifestyle Series
Did you know that your well-being and personal health directly influence many aspects of your life, including your family life and performance at work? St. Joseph Hospital developed the Healthy Lifestyle Series to help you achieve and maintain optimal health in every aspect – mind, body and spirit.
Our wellness experts understand the benefits of healthy eating and exercise, but also realize that busy lifestyles can prevent you from making health a priority. We offer affordable, private consultations with a wellness nurse and wellness coordinator to assess your current health and guide you to reach your personal wellness goals. The Healthy Lifestyle Series is completely customizable to meet your individual needs. We're here to help you get started on the path to a healthier, new you!
With today's busy schedules and fast-paced environment, food choices are often made out convenience in order to save time and/or money. However, eating healthy doesn't have to consume your time or your budget. This program is designed for those who need extra help planning meals and making healthy food choices on a daily basis.
The Diet/Nutrition Program includes:
- Two 30-minute sessions with wellness nurse and wellness coordinator
- Customized diet/nutrition program designed to meet individual goals
The cost for the program is $30.
Whether you avidly stick to an exercise routine or you want to start toning your muscles, the Exercise Program is designed to help you exercise properly. Each of our wellness coordinators is a certified athletic trainer and certified strength and conditioning specialist who will guide you through exercises personalized just for you. You'll learn exercises you can do at home, as well as how to use the machines at the gym, including free weights, resistance bands, medicine balls and more. We offer several packages within the Exercise Program, including Keeping Fit While You Sit, Event Training, Body After Baby, Fit Over Fifty and more.
The introductory program includes:
- 1-hour private session with wellness nurse and wellness coordinator
- Home and gym exercises
- Keep fit while you sit (or stand) at work
- Event training (5K walks/runs, marathons, triathlons)
- Performance enhancement (i.e., strength and conditioning training to help improve stamina)
- Modified Functional Movement Screen (identifies physical limitations and muscular imbalances; corrective exercises address any issues and reduce the risk of injury)
- The introductory cost is $30. The cost for additional sessions includes:
$20 for a private 30-minute session
$40 for a private 1-hour session
We also offer group sessions:
Group (2-3 people) 30-minute session: $15 each
Group (4-6 people) 30-minute session: $10 each
Functional Movement Screen
Making time for exercise is important, but taking the time to exercise properly is imperative in order to minimize potential risk of injury. That's why it's important to understand your body's strengths and weaknesses before implementing certain exercises into your wellness routine. The Functional Movement Screen is performed by one of our wellness coordinators who are certified athletic trainers, and certified strength and conditioning specialists.
The Functional Movement Screen:
- Tests seven basic movement patterns, including a deep squat, shoulder mobility, a hurdle step, the active straight-leg raise, trunk stability push-up, an in-line lunge and rotary stability
- Identifies muscular imbalances and weaknesses associated with injury risk
- Assists in customizing a corrective exercise program to address areas of concern, improve balance and reduce risk of injury
- Monitors your progress and movement patterns in the presence of changing fitness levels
The cost of the Functional Movement Screen is $50.
Our Healthy Lifestyle Series experts developed a personalized fitness, instruction and training (FIT) program that provides each patient with the self-confidence they need to start safe and effective exercise, including an understanding of dietary requirements to achieve overall wellness.
Goals of the FIT Program
- Improve exercise tolerance, as well as overall strength, stamina and mobility
- Decrease anxiety and enhance self-confidence
- Assist in the development of a healthy lifestyle to control risk factors for heart disease
- Increase confidence and security so patients can continue their normal activities of daily living
The FIT Program includes:
Access to highly trained medical staff, including registered nurses who can assist with exercise guidelines for:
- Post-surgical patients
- Pre-surgical patients
- Heart health
- Other conditions
Access to exercise physiologists and certified athletic trainers who have experience working in all fitness levels with people of all ages to help you meet the following goals:
- Weight loss
- Event training
Hours and Cost
The FIT Program is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Program participants can workout for as long or as little as the want during these times. The first month costs $100, which includes a monthly $50 fee and 1-hour initial consult with a wellness coordinator.
Daily stressors in life can be very damaging to both your physical health and emotional well-being. The Healthy Lifestyle Series offers a Healthy Moments program to help you work through different types of stress you experience, and ultimately minimize your stress altogether.
In your initial session, you'll meet with a behavioral health specialist for a screening and introduction that will help highlight any fears, issues or parts of life that are dragging you down. In the second meeting, we'll review your results from the first session and develop a plan that fosters healing in areas that need attention. The final meeting will cover any other areas of concern and provide helpful tips for you to use moving forward.
Healthy Moments includes:
- Three private 45-minute individual or conjoint sessions with a behavioral health specialist
- One-on-one counseling to address issues that involve:
- Marriage and family issues
- Work issues
- Depression and anxiety
- Divorce recovery
- Substance abuse
The cost of the Healthy Moments Program is $130.