Healthy Lifestyle Series
Did you know that your well-being and personal health directly influence many aspects of your life, including your family life and performance at work? St. Joseph Hospital developed the Healthy Lifestyle Series to help you achieve and maintain optimal health in every aspect – mind, body and spirit.
Our wellness experts understand the benefits of healthy eating and exercise, but also realize that busy lifestyles can prevent you from making health a priority. We offer affordable, private consultations with a wellness nurse and wellness coordinator to assess your current health and guide you to reach your personal wellness goals. The Healthy Lifestyle Series is completely customizable to meet your individual needs. We're here to help you get started on the path to a healthier, new you!
With today's busy schedules and fast-paced environment, food choices are often made out convenience in order to save time and/or money. However, eating healthy doesn't have to consume your time or your budget. This program is designed for those who need extra help planning meals and making healthy food choices on a daily basis.
The Diet/Nutrition Program includes:
- Two 30-minute sessions with wellness nurse and wellness coordinator
- Customized diet/nutrition program designed to meet individual goals
The cost for the program is $40.
Whether you avidly stick to an exercise routine or you want to start toning your muscles, the Exercise Program is designed to help you exercise properly. Each of our wellness coordinators is a certified athletic trainer and certified strength and conditioning specialist who will guide you through exercises personalized just for you. You'll learn exercises you can do at home, as well as how to use the machines at the gym, including free weights, resistance bands, medicine balls and more. We offer several packages within the Exercise Program, including Keeping Fit While You Sit, Event Training, Body After Baby, Fit Over Fifty and more.
The introductory program includes:
- 1-hour private session with wellness nurse and wellness coordinator
- Home and gym exercises
- Keep fit while you sit (or stand) at work
- Event training (5K walks/runs, marathons, triathlons)
- Performance enhancement (i.e., strength and conditioning training to help improve stamina)
- Modified Functional Movement Screen (identifies physical limitations and muscular imbalances; corrective exercises address any issues and reduce the risk of injury)
The introductory cost is $50; additional sessions:
- Private 30-minute session: $30
- Private 1-hour session: $50
Our Healthy Lifestyle Series experts developed a personalized fitness, instruction and training (FIT) program that provides each patient with the self-confidence they need to start safe and effective exercise, including an understanding of dietary requirements to achieve overall wellness.
Goals of the FIT Program
- Improve exercise tolerance, as well as overall strength, stamina and mobility
- Decrease anxiety and enhance self-confidence
- Assist in the development of a healthy lifestyle to control risk factors for heart disease
- Increase confidence and security so patients can continue their normal activities of daily living
The FIT Program includes:
Access to highly trained medical staff, including registered nurses who can assist with exercise guidelines for:
- Post-surgical patients
- Pre-surgical patients
- Heart health
- Other conditions
Access to exercise physiologists and certified athletic trainers who have experience working in all fitness levels with people of all ages to help you meet the following goals:
- Weight loss
- Event training
Hours and Cost
The FIT Program is open on Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Program participants can work out for as long or as little as the want during these times. The first month costs $100, which includes a monthly $50 fee and 1-hour initial consult with a wellness coordinator.
A free Tobacco Cessation Program is offered regularly at St. Joseph Hospital to help people quit smoking. Classes address issues such as identifying triggers, developing coping strategies, making lifestyle changes, creating a support system, preventing relapse and more. The program provides:
- A five-week cessation class series
- Free supply of nicotine patches for adults 18 years of age and older
- Free quit kit
- Personalized quit plan
- Access to free quit smoking texting services
- Support group