Providence St. Joseph Medical Center’s birthing center invites you to welcome your little one in a private, intimate atmosphere located on the Flathead Lake. Our spacious rooms offer comfort and privacy for your special delivery. Our rooms have large windows facing the Flathead Lake, bringing the beauty of nature inside.
We are here to help you prepare for your new arrival with childbirth classes, early lactation education and labor & delivery unit tours. We support rooming-in with newborns and parents, while offering our assistance as needed. We share a close relationship with the Family Maternity Center at Providence St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula if your little one requires a level II NICU.
We use state-of-the-art technology to make sure you and your baby are as healthy as possible. From diagnostic imaging to help identify potential problems during your pregnancy to 24/7 centralized monitoring systems, we have all of your needs covered.
Our services include:
- Prenatal Care: We offer the expertise of the only two board certified OB/GYNS in the Flathead valley. Dr. Kelly Bagnell has been practicing at St. Joseph Medical Center for over 20 years, and Dr. Jamie Straub has been practicing here for over 10 years.
- Breastfeeding Support: Our labor & delivery nurses offer breastfeeding support to help you meet your breastfeeding goals. We have six Certified Lactation Consultants in our unit. Lactation support is also provided in our outpatient setting for your breastfeeding needs after discharge. Breastfeeding may not be for everyone. We provide non-judgemental support and education for formula feeding as well. If you choose, we also offer donor breast milk through the Mother’s Milk Bank of Missoula. This service is free of charge for our inpatient families, and we offer information about your options once you go home.
- Pain Management: Our staff at St. Joseph Medical Center have received specialty training to assist you in your birthing plan. We offer natural labor support with a jacuzzi tub, birthing balls and aromatherapy. If your plan changes or you would prefer medical interventions for childbirth pain, we offer nitrous oxide, epidurals and IV pain medications that are aligned with safe birthing practice.
- Postpartum: We provide postpartum care in our facility with our OB/GYNs. They are located on the first floor of the hospital, making it convient to receive follow-up care. Outpatient lactation services are available as well and can be scheduled with your follow-up visits.
We offer an intimate environment for your birthing experience. Our large labor rooms are both private and secure, and allow for you to stay in one place for your labor, delivery and recovery period. After your recovery, we offer spacious postpartum rooms with accommodations for you and a significant other, including a private bathroom. During your stay, we offer boutique care with aromatherapy, birthing balls, alternative birthing positioning, a jacuzzi tub, and delicious meals for you and your significant other. The hospital provides free Wi-Fi and an overhead lullaby announcing the arrival of your special delivery.
We offer a small and secluded labor and delivery unit for the safety of you and your baby. All of our labor and delivery nurses wear a pink ID badge that allows you to quickly identify safe staff. St. Joseph Medical Center is a Gold Safe Sleep Champion. This is the National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program’s highest designation and recognizes our commitment to keeping babies safe in their sleep environments, helping prevent deaths from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). SIDS is the leading cause of death among infants between 1 month and 1 year of age.
To help protect your baby once you get home:
- Keep your baby in your room at night, but in the baby’s own safety-approved crib or bassinet - never in your bed
- Always put your baby on their back to sleep
- Avoid putting pillows, blankets, toys or other items in your baby’s bed
- Avoid putting your baby to sleep on furniture such as couches or chairs
- Don’t routinely allow your baby to sleep in bouncy seats, infant carriers, swings or strollers
- Don’t use sleep positioners, like foam wedges or tubes, with your baby
- Keep your baby away from all smoke
- Make sure your baby gets regular checkups, and follow the doctor’s recommendations
- Prevent your baby from overheating during sleep
Free pregnancy and parenting app
Circle® is a free pregnancy and parenting app that provides useful health resources, top-notch pregnancy calculator and tools to help track ovulation, weight, blood pressure, and vaccinations. Enjoy easy access to program information, services and classes, too!
From early pregnancy through your child’s toddler and teen years, Circle customizes information based on your family’s needs. Plus, when you connect to MyChart through Circle, you will receive appointment reminders for you and your children.