The Family Maternity Center at Providence St. Patrick Hospital is ready to help you welcome your little one into the world with the best possible care.
We offer classes to help you prepare for your baby’s arrival and a supportive environment for you to give birth. We provide all the services you and your baby might need – from lactation specialists who can help you with breastfeeding to our Level II neonatal intensive care unit, where we care for babies born up to six weeks premature.
Our patient suites allow you to labor, deliver and recover in one room. This enables you and your baby to settle in and bond as soon as you give birth. We welcome both written or verbal birth plans and any support you choose to have present, including birth doulas.
Once you know you’re pregnant, it’s important to see a doctor regularly. These appointments allow your doctor to monitor your health and your baby’s. In most cases, you see the doctor once a month for the first 28 weeks. As your due date gets closer, your appointments will become more frequent.
Doctors from the Western Montana Clinic partner with us to provide prenatal care.
We can get you started with breastfeeding and help address any problems you might have, such as pain, slow weight gain in your baby, or challenges created by returning to work or school.
Our staff is trained in natural childbirth methods that can help you avoid or delay the use of pain medication. If you choose to use pain relievers, we offer several options, including:
- Epidurals and spinal blocks
- IV medications
- Nitrous oxide
The postpartum period usually lasts five to seven weeks after your baby is born. This can be both a joyful and difficult time, where you experience many emotions and challenges. It’s important to take good care of yourself. If you have questions or concerns, you can always call us. But be sure to call and schedule a medical exam for yourself two to six weeks after your baby’s birth. Seek help right away if you have:
- Abdominal pain that gets progressively worse
- Burning, frequent or bloody urination
- Cesarean incision that separates, becomes hot or red or foul-smelling
- Continuous urinary or perineal discomfort
- Fever over 100.4 °F
- Foul-smelling discharge
- Heavy vaginal bleeding that saturates a pad in two hours or less
- No bowel movement for four days after giving birth
- Painful headache, vision changes, or pain in the upper right side of your belly
- Postpartum depression that affects your daily life
- Severe or constant hemorrhoid discomfort
- Tender and irritated areas on a breast or cracked nipples that do not react to home remedies
We designed the Family Maternity Center with your comfort and safety in mind. Our patient suites allow you to labor, deliver and recover in one area without having to move from room to room. If you require a cesarean delivery, we have a C-section suite in the center itself.
Each of our rooms has a home-like feel. You have an individually controlled thermostat and lighting, a refrigerator, and a TV/DVD player. Our rooms also feature a private bathroom with a large tub.
Other amenities include:
- A sleeper sofa for your support person
- Birth support tools such as birthing balls, back massagers, mirrors, squatting bar and birth stool
- Free Wi-Fi
- Laminated booklets that offer tips on breathing, physical and mental relaxation, laboring positions, pushing positions and ways for your partner to support you while in labor
- Reserved parking for mothers in labor
- State-of-the-art electronic security system
Experience the high-quality and award-winning care that Providence St. Patrick Hospital is known for by delivering your baby at our Family Maternity Center. We offer a unique environment – your own beautifully-decorated private room where you’ll labor, deliver and recover. Your baby will stay with you in the same room after delivery (unless your baby needs additional care), allowing you to spend those initial precious moments together. If a caesarean delivery is needed, the C-section suite is also within the Family Maternity Center.
In-person tours of the Family Maternity Center are offered every Thursday at 5:30 p.m. If you would like to schedule your tour for a different day or time, please call us: 406-329-5300.
Children under 12 years of age are not permitted to visit the Family Maternity Center, unless they are the children of an admitted maternity patient.
Tour not loading? Click to open in a new browser.
Providence St. Patrick Hospital offers education classes to ease your way into this new stage of your life. Our classes are taught by certified childbirth educators and are designed to prepare you and give you peace of mind during these next exciting phases of your life, from pre-delivery to life with a baby at home. Space is limited. Registration is required.
St. Patrick Hospital is a Gold Safe Sleep Champion. This is the National Safe Sleep Hospital Certification Program’s highest designation and recognizes our commitment to keeping babies safe in their sleep environments and helping prevent deaths from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). SIDS is the leading cause of death among infants between 1 month and 1 year of age.
To help protect your baby once you get home:
- Keep your baby in your room at night, but in the baby’s own safety-approved crib or bassinet - never your bed
- Always put your baby on their back for sleep
- Avoid putting pillows, blankets, toys or other items in your baby’s bed
- Avoid putting your baby to sleep on furniture such as couches or chairs
- Don’t routinely allow your baby to sleep in bouncy seats, infant carriers, swings or strollers.
- Don’t use sleep positioners, like foam wedges or tubes, with your baby
- Keep your baby away from all smoke
- Make sure your baby gets regular checkups, and follow the doctor’s recommendations
- Prevent your baby from overheating during sleep
Find a Doctor
At Providence, you'll have access to a vast network of dedicated and compassionate providers who offer personalized care by focusing on treatment, prevention and health education.
Free pregnancy and parenting app
Circle® is a free pregnancy and parenting app that provides useful health resources, top-notch pregnancy calculator and tools to help track ovulation, weight, blood pressure, and vaccinations. Enjoy easy access to program information, services and classes, too! Plus, when you connect to MyChart through Circle, you will receive appointment reminders for you and your children. Learn more about the Circle app.