The Dr. Russel Pardoe Radiation Oncology Center at Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka has earned a reputation for offering state of the art cancer treatment on the northern California coast that is usually only found in major medical centers. We take great pride in our highly trained staff using top-of-the-line linear accelerators to treat patients according to national guidelines in cooperation with cancer centers such as the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) and Stanford.
Our doctors work as a team and will discuss your case at a multidisciplinary tumor board. In addition to the radiation oncologist, you will have a team of technologists, oncology nurses, social workers, nutritionists and cancer navigators to help you through the treatment process. Our staff is trained to answer your questions and make you part of the team to decide which treatment is best for you.
To prepare for your visit, please review our new patient packet. We look forward to walking with you on this journey and providing you with high quality cancer care, prevention, detection, education and support services.
Modern linear accelerators, such as the ones used at the Dr. Russel Pardoe Radiation Oncology Center, use high-tech, computer-controlled X-rays to precisely treat nearly all types of cancer.
The sophisticated treatments such as IMRT, SRS, IGRT and SBRT can give high doses of radiation to the cancer cells, greatly reducing the dose of radiation to the surrounding healthy tissues. This results in higher cure rates with fewer side effects.
Patients have access to the latest treatment methods for their particular condition. The treatment modalities we offer include:
- 3D conformal radiotherapy
- DIBH — Deep breath holding radiation treatment
- Electron beam radiation therapy
- HDR — A form a brachytherapy
- IGRT — A technique to make IMRT even more precise with CT imaging prior to each treatment
- IMRT — Precise treatment for many types of cancer, including prostate, lung, gynecological and GI tumors
- Radiation therapy with concurrent chemotherapy
- SBRT — Highly localized treatment of certain cancers, including lung cancers
- SRS — Highly localized treatment of brain tumors
To support you during radiation treatment, we provide these services:
- Access to an on-call radiation oncologist
- Nursing and direct patient care
- Nutrition consultation
- Pastoral care
- Patient education
- Social worker consultation
- Weekly on-treatment visits by a radiation oncologist
Throughout your treatment, we will care for you, guide you and answer questions. Your care team may include:
- Home health nurse
- Medical dosimetrists
- Medical physicists
- Oncology dieticians
- Oncology nurse navigators
- Oncology social workers
- Radiation oncologists
- Radiation oncology registered nurses
- Radiation therapists
- Spiritual health chaplains