Stroke and Neurosciences
Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center Torrance
Through a team-based and patient-centered approach to care, Providence Little Company of Mary Torrance offers optimal treatment programs for you or a loved one’s neurological needs.
We’re proud to provide care to patients suffering from neurological and cranial disorders through a partnership with the Pacific Neuroscience Institute (PNI). PNI physicians are leaders in their field committed to improving patient outcomes. In conjunction with the John Wayne Cancer Institute, our team is constantly involved with research and clinical trials related to brain and pituitary cancers.
In collaboration with the Pacific Neuroscience Institute, our neurological staff offers personalized care through three neurological centers. These centers provide the careful attention needed to maximize the success of each individualized treatment plan for recovery. They include:
- Brain Tumor Center – Provides a compassionate and multidisciplinary approach for patients with all types of brain and skull base tumors.
- Movement Disorders Center – Provides comprehensive treatment plans and personalized recommendations for patients with movement disorders.
- Stroke & Aneurism Center – Provides timely leading-edge interventions to minimize the impact of stroke and related conditions.
With an emphasis on patient dignity and comfort, we specialize in services for the following cranial and neurological conditions:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Movement disorders
- Brain tumor
- General neurology
- Skull base tumor
- Pituitary tumors and disorders
- Spine disorders
- Deep brain stimulation
- Concussion management
Our wide-array of expertise and services allow us to provide the best in neurological care. Advanced procedures offered include:
- Deep Brain Stimulation
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Endoscopic Colloid Cyst Resection
- Intracranial Angioplasty and Stenosis
- Shunt Removal
For nearly a decade, Providence Little Company of Mary has been certified as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center. Our commitment to quality care has earned us the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Gold Plus Achievement Award for fulfilling the rigorous standards and requirements it takes to deliver quality stroke care.
Through our tireless devotion to neurological care, we’re proud to have also achieved Disease Specific Care Center Comprehensive Stroke Certification (CSC) from The Joint Commission. This new level of certification recognizes the significant resources in staff & training that comprehensive stroke centers must have to treat complex stroke.
Our hospital was the first in Los Angeles County to receive an EMS designation as a Comprehensive Stroke Receiving Center. Through our valued efforts in the field of neurosciences, we’re the only hospital in the South Bay to carry the distinction of Comprehensive Stroke Certification by The Joint Commission.
Strokes occur when blood flow to the brain is disrupted, which keeps brain cells from receiving the oxygen they need to live. Because of this, strokes can cause a variety of symptoms. An easy way to remember stroke symptoms is to B.E. F.A.S.T.
- B – Balance (loss of balance and coordination)
- E – Eyes (difficulty seeing in one or both eyes or blurry vision)
- F – Face (Facial Droop)
- A – Arms (weakness)
- S – Speech (trouble speaking or understanding speech)
- T – Time (Time to call 911)