Recognized as an integral part of Providence, our volunteers provide encouragement, comfort and strength to our patients and visitors. Whether working in the gift shop, delivering food to our patients, or lending a hand in one of our community outreach programs, helping others in their healing process can be a very satisfying and inspiring experience. Our Providence volunteers often make new friends and learn new skills along the way. Offer your time and talents and reap the rewards of being needed and appreciated.
All volunteers must be fully vaccinated with booster.
Volunteer requirements for Providence Medical Centers are easily met. People of all ages, backgrounds and abilities who want to help others can become volunteers. An initial interview matches each volunteer's interest, talent and schedule to the Medical Centers' needs. All volunteers attend an orientation to introduce them to the Providence Mission and Core Values, as well as become familiar with various departmental functions before beginning assignments.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old. Teens in school must provide a letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor.
- Volunteers must submit an application, contract and confidentiality statement.
- Volunteers must commit to 6 months/100 hours as a minimal contract of service.
- Volunteers must take an annual tuberculosis test, provided free of charge by the Providence Caregiver Health Department.
- Annual education will be required as instructed by Volunteer Services at time of onboarding.
- Volunteers must wear their Providence-issued identification badges at all times while volunteering.
- Volunteers must wear the Providence Saint Joseph uniform when volunteering, to make it easy for the staff, patients and their families to recognize them.
Most areas of the hospital, including the Disney Family Cancer Center, have openings for volunteer assistance. Some areas will require more mobility than others, some require ability to lift more than 10 pounds without difficulty, and some may require special training. We believe there is a perfect placement for all who wish to volunteer. Below are some of the areas of opportunity.
- Gift Shop
- Emergency Department
- Nursing Units (most)
- Disney Family Cancer Center
- Information Desk
- Admitting Ambassador
- Messenger Service
Please note, there is a wait list for all Mother/Child service areas, we do not have positions in the NICU, and unfortunately, we do not have a “cuddle” program at PSJ. Our clinics do not have opportunities at this time. Lastly, we do not have “Shadowing” program.
Volunteers may park free of charge in designated parking lots using a Providence-issued identification badge.
Volunteers have access to Providence First Credit Union, located at 4000 Magnolia Bouelvard in Burbank.
Volunteer identification badges issued by Providence entitle volunteers to a 25 percent discount.
Volunteers have the opportunity to attend various events during the year, including the Annual Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, holiday parties, special health care fairs and events, as well as Foundation events.
Credit hours for medical track or high school students.
Thank you for your interest in the PSJMC Volunteer Program. We are currently accepting applications for the Medical Center and The Disney Family Cancer Center.
Please be sure to check your email in the next day or two for a reply regarding the status of your application and interview appointment coordination. If you do not see a reply in a timely manner, please check your spam folder.
Please call with any questions regarding requirements or in general at 818-847-3501.