Recognized as an integral part of Providence, our volunteers provide encouragement, comfort and strength to our patients and visitors. Whether working in the gift shop, delivering food to our patients, or lending a hand in one of our community outreach programs, helping others in their healing process can be a very satisfying and inspiring experience. Our Providence volunteers often make new friends and learn new skills along the way. Offer your time and talents and reap the rewards of being needed and appreciated.
Volunteer requirements for Providence Medical Centers are easily met. People of all ages, backgrounds and abilities who want to help others can become volunteers. An initial interview matches each volunteer's interest, talent and schedule to the Medical Centers' needs. All volunteers attend an orientation to introduce them to the Providence Mission and Core Values, as well as become familiar with various departmental functions before beginning assignments.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old when applying.
- Volunteers must commit to a minimal contract of 100 hours / 6 months
- Volunteers are scheduled for a minimum of one, 4 hour shift per week. *Additional weekly shifts can be discussed, if available.
- Volunteers are asked to sign an agreement/contract, confidentiality statement and do annual requirements during their onboarding process.
- Volunteers must wear the Providence Saint Joseph uniform shirt and issued ID badge at all times on duty to easily identify them to staff, patents and family. All other dress code requirements must also be met.
- Annual requirements include Tuberculosis testing in your birth month, Stroke education, and flu vaccine or alternative mask mandate during flu season.
Most areas of the hospital, including the Disney Family Cancer Center, have openings for volunteer assistance. Some areas will require more mobility than others, some require ability to lift more than 10 pounds without difficulty, and some may require special training. We believe there is a perfect placement for all who wish to volunteer. Below are some of the areas of opportunity.
- Customer Service
- Gift Shop
- Information Desk
- Admitting Ambassador
- Case Management (clerical help)
- Disney Family Cancer Center
- Emergency Department
- Laboratory *with specific requirements
- Nursing Units
- Critical Care – ICU
- Telemetry – Cardiology, Neurology
- Med-Surg – Orthopedics, Oncology, Bariatric
- Physical Therapy and Acute Rehab
- Retail Pharmacy
Please note, there is a wait list for all Mother/Child areas, we do not have positions in the NICU. Unfortunately, we do not have a “cuddle” program at PSJ at this time. Lastly, we do not have a “Shadowing” program. Any clinical shadowing is done through our clinical education department.
Volunteers may park free of charge in designated parking lots using a Providence-issued identification badge.
Volunteers have access to Providence First Credit Union, located at 4000 Magnolia Bouelvard in Burbank.
Volunteer identification badges issued by Providence entitle volunteers to a 20 percent discount.
Volunteers have the opportunity to attend various events during the year, including the Annual Volunteer Recognition Luncheon, holiday parties, special health care fairs and events, as well as Foundation events.
Credit hours for medical track or high school students.
Thank you for your interest in applying to our Volunteer Program.
We have been overwhelmed at the response to our program this fall, and find that our program cannot take more applications at this time.
We will reopen for applications as soon as we have availability. That date is unknown at this time, though we anticipate possibly mid-February or March as high school seniors begin to leave for senior events and graduation. However, please check back for updates or possible opportunities.
Thank you for your understanding, and apologies for the inconvenience.