Emergency Care Center
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, please call 911.
When sudden and severe illnesses afflict you and your family, St. Joseph Hospital’s Emergency Care Center (ECC) is ready to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. As a dedicated Cardiac and Stroke Receiving Center, our 53-bed ECC includes specialized equipment and staff to provide you and your loved ones with high-quality emergency care.
A special note on when to use emergency care
It is important for patients to understand that emergency departments are for true emergencies. If you don’t know whether your emergency is life-threatening or not, take the safe approach and come in. However, if you don’t need this high level of care, consider options such as more affordable urgent care or a visit to your general practice physician.
The hospital has contracted with Emergency Medicine Specialists of Orange County (EMSOC) to provide physician services in the Emergency Department. These physicians are independent contractors, not employees of the hospital, who contract separately with healthcare insurers and healthcare plans. As a result, they may not be in the same networks as the hospital. If you have any questions regarding whether these physicians are covered by your insurance, you should contact your insurance provider directly. To contact the ER group contracted to our hospital, please call 714-543-8911.
If you are in need of emergency assistance, we encourage you to have:
- Your address and telephone number
- Your social security number
- The name and address of your employer, if you have one
- The name of your health insurance plan and your insurance identification card
- A completed Advance Directive
- A list of medications you are taking and allergies. We will also want to know of any chronic medical conditions you may have
Our emergency care staff are highly trained and include:
- Physicians board-certified in emergency care
- Nurse practitioners
- Physician assistants
- Emergency-trained registered nurses
- Licensed vocational nurses
- Patient care technicians
- Child life specialists
- Clinical educators
- Clinical coordinators
- Case managers
- Transport technicians
- Clerical professionals