Childbirth is not a day, nor a moment, but a nine month journey to motherhood.
And at Providence Mission Hospital we’re here to offer an experience that is truly different, to walk that path together with you; with respect and empowerment, knowledge and understanding. Because we believe you are what’s naturally best for your baby. And for one of life’s most precious events, one you’ll remember for the rest of your life, at Mission Hospital we offer a whole new approach to modern obstetrics.
From exceptional labor and delivery services to an in-hospital midwifery birth center, Providence Mission Hospital offers safe, flexible birthing options that focus on your needs and respect your preferences. Whether you partner with one of our highly regarded obstetricians, or a certified nurse midwife, we’ll walk with you through your pregnancy, listen closely, offer sound options and help you make informed decisions. Then we’ll follow your lead — because you’re the mom.
Leaning toward a natural birth, with no interventions, in our cozy birth center? Great! Prefer an epidural ASAP? Also great! We’re here to support your choices, your comfort and your safety. A Perinatal Nurse Navigator is available to help all patients, whether midwife or OB attended, in preparation for your delivery (including pre-admission).
Our state-of-the-art facility has specialized physicians and services immediately available for any need that arises. And for maximum peace of mind, Providence Mission is the only hospital directly connected to CHOC at Mission Hospital, with expert neonatologists on-site 24/7 for babies who need specialized care. The maternal fetal medicine specialists at Providence Mission’s Perinatal Diagnostic and Treatment Center work closely with CHOC’s team to ensure the best care possible for mothers and babies. Even high-risk moms can feel secure because expert perinatologists are available to OBs and midwives during pregnancy and delivery. With Providence Mission’s team by your side, you’ve got this.
Let’s Plan Together
When you choose an obstetrician-gynecologist (OB-GYN) to be your partner through pregnancy and delivery, we’ll help you create a birth plan that fits your preferences. If you prefer natural birth but still want to partner with an OB-GYN, many of our doctors support natural, unmedicated birth plans – you can even request a doula, and enjoy soothing amenities like hydrotherapy and LED candles in our state-of-the-art labor and delivery unit. We respect and honor your plan–understanding that preferences and safety concerns can change throughout your pregnancy and right up to delivery day.
A Modern Labor and Delivery Approach
When you go into labor, you can expect the same level of supportive, compassionate, and safe care you’ve received throughout your pregnancy. We’ll respect your birth plan, and you’ll be able to choose when and if pain medication will be used. Your labor and delivery experience will be based on your preferences and what is safest for you and your baby at the time of delivery.
Most babies can be born with very little medical help, and that’s good news because when we minimize surgical intervention, we help ensure a safer delivery. We’ll monitor your health and the health of your baby during the labor and birthing process. Unless necessary, we’ll work with you to avoid common interventions like inducing labor or episiotomy to help prevent dangerous complications that can delay healing.
Lower Risk. Higher Confidence: Having a Baby the Providence Way
At the same time, we know every birth is different, as is every new mom. If you choose an epidural for pain relief–even if you change your mind from your birth plan–we will honor your request when it’s safe to do. You are in charge of your birth experience, and that means easing your discomfort.
Did you know that women are three times more likely to experience complications during cesarean delivery? For your safety, our OB-GYNs encourage vaginal birth even if you’ve had a previous C-section, when possible. However, there are times when a cesarean delivery may be medically necessary, and our experts will help ensure both you and your baby are safe and comfortable.
Let’s Start this Journey Together
If you’re ready for an outstanding pregnancy experience, start by choosing an OB-GYN who will be a good fit for you and will prioritize your safety. It’s so important to find someone who listens to you, doesn't pressure you, and gets you–both your head and your heart.
It’s your pregnancy. Let Providence be your partner.
If you want to bring your baby into the world naturally, Mission Hospital offers the best of both worlds. Our in-hospital midwifery birth center — one of only two in Southern California — offers natural childbirth in a home-like setting within the safety of a specialty hospital. We’ll honor your decision to have an unmedicated birth, but if you change your mind or certain circumstances arise, we can provide pain management and other services. For women with low-risk pregnancies, this means you can have the natural, home-like experience that you want, with the benefit of immediate access to modern safety measures if they become necessary.
In your private suite at the Mission Hospital Birth Center, your midwife — and a doula, if you like — will support you through this very natural process. If any issues arise, rest assured that Mission’s OBs, nurses, laborists, anesthesiologists, perinatologists and Level 3 Neonatal ICU services are on hand 24/7 for full medical support. And for babies who need specialized attention, CHOC Children’s at Mission is right inside our hospital.
Mission Hospital is proud to collaborate with the midwives of Mission Heritage OB/GYN to offer comprehensive care for women, from preconception and family planning to prenatal care, delivery, postpartum care and well-woman care. These highly trained certified nurse midwives (CNMs) are licensed through the Board of Registered Nursing and certified through the American Midwifery Certification Board. Most also hold master’s degrees in nurse midwifery and women’s health.
The word midwife means “with woman.” Your midwife will be with you throughout your pregnancy, delivery and early parenthood to provide trusted guidance, encouragement and support. Some of the ways we help, specifically, include:
- Assisting you to develop a birth plan that reflects your personal wishes
- Discussing both holistic and medical approaches to the discomforts of pregnancy
- Helping you prepare emotionally, mentally and physically for pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum changes
- Referring you to childbirth and breastfeeding education resources
Our goal is for you to feel confident, prepared, well-supported and cared for during this intimate experience. It’s our privilege to walk it with you.
The midwifery suites in our birth center are comfortable, homelike spaces designed exclusively for natural childbirth. Our spacious, family-friendly rooms include:
- Queen-size beds
- Hydrotherapy showers and tubs
- Birth stools and birth balls
- Soothing amenities such as music, aromatherapy, LED candles and massage
- Nitrous oxide as a pain-management option
- Support from nurses who specialize in working with midwifery patients and doulas
Our four midwifery suites are set apart from our traditional labor and delivery area to maintain a natural, homelike environment. While medical interventions such as epidurals and Pitocin (a labor inducer) are not used in the midwifery suites, a transfer to labor and delivery can happen in moments if new needs arise. Your midwife will stay by your side and continue to support you.
Whether you choose a midwifery suite in our birth center or traditional labor and delivery, you have the full support of Mission Hospital behind you, including:
- Comprehensive care, from preconception and family planning to prenatal and postpartum care, well-woman care, and treatment for minor gynecological issues
- Extended appointment times
- Shared decision-making between you and your providers
- Clear education and communication
- Referrals to in-house specialists and community resources
- Collaborative, supportive back-up physicians on call and available when needed
- Laborists and anesthesiologists on site 24/7
- Co-management with highly skilled obstetricians for higher-risk patients
- Support for vaginal births after caesareans (VBAC)
- A Perinatal Nurse Navigator is available to help all patients, whether midwife or OB attended, in preparation for your delivery at Mission Hospital (including preadmission).
If you are expecting a low-risk birth, the decision is entirely up to you. Doctors and nurse midwives have the same goals — a healthy mom and baby — but their approach is different. The Midwifery model of care is more holistic. We view the mother/baby as inseparable, and thus, individualize care with the guidance of evidence-based information. We view labor as normal and honor this, but also appropriately intervene, consult, collaborate and refer as needed to our OB experts and other healthcare professionals. Mission Hospital offers safe options and we’re here to support your choices. We look forward to helping you welcome your little one to the world.
In response to the COVID-19 virus (coronavirus), we have suspended all on ground maternity tours, classes and support groups. We now have a maternity virtual tour available on our Birth Center home page. For the month of May we are offering Microsoft Teams virtual options for the following classes: Prep for Birth, Breastfeeding Basics, and Caring for Baby.
Please visit the class registration page for details and registration.
Resources for our parents and families
- For information related to our hospital services and environment, please refer to our website. Our perinatal nurse navigator can also be reached at 949-485-8648.
- For educational information, please refer to the Circle App. You can also visit the App Store or Google Play or search Circle by St. Joseph Health and select Mission Hospital. Download the free app, complete your profile including due date and begin your customized experience. Circle is a free pregnancy and parenting app that provides useful health resources, and tools, as well as information on Mission Hospital services. Additionally, our perinatal educator can be contacted via email.
- For information on Maternal Mental Health, visit our resources page.
- For information on breastfeeding support, please call 949-365-BABY and select option 3.
When you are expecting there are many decisions to make - the most important being where to deliver your baby. Mission Hospital believes the birth of your baby is one of life’s most cherished miracles and time in your life. We would like to invite you to deliver your baby at Mission Hospital. Where miracles happen every day!
As a Magnet and Certified Baby Friendly Birth Facility we offer comprehensive maternal infant services, round-the-clock support, and a high touch - high tech environment. We are committed to providing you with quality patient care and nursing excellence in a safe, comfortable environment that meets the needs of your entire family. We respect your family’s uniqueness and value you and your family as important members of the healthcare team. We offer a family-centered care environment and encourage the bonding of your family with your newborn and welcome participation of siblings and other family members.
We are committed to making a positive lasting memory, strive to make a difference for those we are privileged to care for, focused on the pursuit of being the most preferred hospital with superior outcomes and adhere to our core set of values that characterize our culture; Dignity, Service, Excellence and Justice.
Specialists are available for every outcome. Should your pregnancy need a higher level of monitoring we have our Perinatal Diagnostic and Treatment Center, as well as an Antepartum wing for expectant women requiring bedrest and extra monitoring. For newborns needing a higher level of care we are proud to have Children’s Hospital at Mission Hospital, a level three neonatal unit.
Registration is easyOption 1
Patients may pre-register by calling 949-364-1400 ext. 1810. Please leave a message and an admitting staff member will contact you.
Patients may attend our Welcome Baby Tour Night and pre-register in person. A second benefit of this option is you will be able to sign the Conditions of Admission, which means your registration is complete.
Please contact our Call Center Staff at 877-459-3627 to register for this program. Call Center hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Our highest priority is to provide the safest environment so our physicians and caregivers can provide exceptional, high quality care. In light of the Coronavirus pandemic, we have made some changes to our processes to help keep you safe.
- All laboring women should enter the hospital through Mission Hospital’s main entrance at Tower 1. Disregard the “no visitors” sign. All patients and their support person will be screened.
- Park in 20-minute parking and bring your belongings with you. Your support person can move the car once you are settled into your room.
- The main entrance is open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- At night, between the hours of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., please call the Birth Center at 949-365-2141 to tell them you have arrived at the Tower 1 entrance. A caregiver will promptly come to let you in. If your call is not quickly answered, please call 949-365-2151.
- If your delivery is imminent, you have unusual bleeding or you have a medical concern unrelated to your pregnancy – you must go to the Emergency Department immediately.
Thank you for your support.
To learn more about visiting mom and the new baby, please read our visitor policy.
While in the hospital, you can share your baby’s first photo with your family and friends. Your baby's first few days are precious. Let Mission Hospital help you capture the moment of your child's first days with a portrait taken by Bella Baby Photography.
How it works
Your professional mini photo shoot will take place in the comfort of your hospital room. Friends and family are welcome to stay to view this special rite of passage. Bella Baby's professional photographers will photograph your baby and post photos to an online slideshow on bellababyphotography.com. Online viewing and ordering is available to anyone with whom you choose to share your password. The password protected online slideshow will be available 14 days after the photo shoot. The photographer will review prints, digital images and other items available for purchase.
View your photos
To view your photos, visit bellababyphotography.com and enter the access code provided by your photographer.
Tips for a great photo shoot
- Bring your favorite baby blanket from home for use in the photo shoot. A beautiful blanket can add texture, color and memories to your newborn's photo.
- We love to include parent's hands in our photos. Wear clear or neutral polish on the day of your shoot. We want your baby to be the focus of the photos.
- Bring a solid black, brown or gray shirt to wear in photos. We may photograph your baby in your arms. These colors look great in both color and black and white prints.
Alternative link to view the Midwifery Suites virtual tour
Labor & Delivery Suites
Alternative link to view the Labor & Delivery Suites virtual tour
How to use the virtual tour:
From a Computer
Use the arrow keys to navigate the individual areas
- Up Arrow = Forward
- Down Arrow = Backward
- Left Arrow = Move left
- Right Arrow = Move right
You can also navigate using the mouse
- Double click to move forward or click and drag to move around the area.
- To reset the view, click on one of the two icons on the bottom left of the screen to view the Dollhouse View or View Floor Plan.
- On a smart phone or tablet, touch and drag on the screen to navigate through the scenes.
Providence is committed to helping women experiencing emotional, social and psychological challenges during and after pregnancy. Our focus is prevention and early intervention.
Providence Mission Hospital offers specialized treatment and services for pregnant or postpartum women experiencing maternal mental health disorders, also known as perinatal mood and anxiety disorders through our Maternal Mental Health and Wellness Program.
If you or a loved one is struggling with maternal depression, anxiety, family conflicts or other stressors and you have questions about what kind of help is available, please call:
Providence Mission Hospital’s Maternal Mental Health Referral Line: 949-499-8663
This free referral line will help connect you to mental health providers in the community such as counselors, psychotherapists and psychiatrists specially trained to work with pregnant and postpartum mothers. Unanswered calls will be returned within 2 business days.
Please be advised that this is not a crisis line nor does it handle emergencies. People in crisis should call 911 or the National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
Free pregnancy and parenting app
Circle® is a free pregnancy and parenting app that provides useful health resources and tools, top-notch pregnancy calculator and tools to help track ovulation, weight, blood pressure, and vaccinations. Enjoy easy access to program information, services and classes, too!
From early pregnancy through your child’s toddler and teen years, Circle customizes information based on your family’s needs.