Providence Thyroid Cancer Clinic
Providence Cancer Institute’s Thyroid Cancer Program is a collaboration between specialists who combine comprehensive, individualized treatment and compassionate care for patients with thyroid and endocrine cancers. Our team of thyroid cancer experts will help identify treatment plans for patients with thyroid nodules, suspected cancers and confirmed cancers.
At Providence Thyroid Cancer Clinic, our patients benefit from:
- A care team that will identify diagnostic procedures and treatment decisions to streamline the referral process for patients and referring providers
- World-class expertise and collaboration from a multidisciplinary physician team of medical oncologists, endocrinologists, pathologists, endocrine surgeons, surgical oncologists, otolaryngologists, and head and neck surgeons.
- Thyroid tumor boards that meet regularly to discuss treatment plans and review guidelines and clinical best-practices
- A robust research program including innovative therapies and clinical trials through the Earle A. Chiles Research Institute, a division of Providence Cancer Institute located within the Robert W. Franz Cancer Center.
We offer a variety of advanced molecular and genetic tests to:
- Confirm a new diagnosis of thyroid cancer
- Evaluate thyroid nodules
- Profile recurrent or aggressive forms of thyroid cancer
- Screen for novel therapies and clinical trials
- Papillary thyroid cancer - The most common type of thyroid cancer. Most are slow-growing cancers and are classified as a type of differentiated thyroid cancer.
- Follicular thyroid cancer - A slow growing type of differentiated thyroid cancer.
- Hurthle cell cancer - A rare form of follicular thyroid cancer that can be more aggressive than some other types of differentiated thyroid cancer.
- Medullary thyroid cancer - A poorly differentiated, aggressive form of thyroid cancer that produces a hormone called calcitonin. This cancer may be linked to certain genetic syndromes.
- Anaplastic thyroid cancer - A rare and very aggressive form of thyroid cancer that can be difficult to treat.
- Parathyroid cancer - A rare form of cancer that affects the parahthyroid glands, which are located next to the thyroid gland.
- Surgery - Our experienced thyroid surgeons often utilize minimally invasive approaches to treat either part of, or the entire thyroid gland and associated lymph nodes.
- Radiation Therapy - Following thyroid surgery, many patients with differentiated thyroid cancer require radioactive iodine therapy. Some patients with more aggressive forms of thyroid cancer are treated with external beam radiation therapy.
- Systemic Therapy - Including targeted therapy, immunotherapy and chemotherapy: For some high risk or recurrent thyroid cancers, new systemic therapies and cutting edge clinical trials are available in conjunction with the Earle A. Chiles Research Institute.
- Tumor molecular profiling
- Thyroid cancer clinical trials
- Oncology nutrition
- Genetic risk assessment
- Integrative therapies (naturopathic medicine, acupuncture, therapeutic massage)
- Supportive care services
When you first hear the words “it’s cancer,” the road ahead may seem overwhelming. But from that moment on, Providence Cancer Institute surrounds you with people to help you through the journey. Treating your cancer is not only about treating the disease; it is also about supporting you as a whole person – body, mind and spirit. Here are some of our key support services to help you get through your treatment and emerge as healthy as possible.
- Oncology nurse navigators work directly with your oncologists, surgeons, and care team to help you better understand and follow your treatment plans. The compassionate guidance of nurse navigators has been shown to improve treatment outcomes for patients.
Learn more about nurse navigators.
- Oncology social workers are trained counselors who help patients and families cope with the emotional stresses and practical concerns associated with cancer. Providence cancer patients and their families can benefit from our social work services.
Learn more about what an oncology social worker can do for you.
- Oncology nutrition. Cancer and cancer treatments can affect the way your body tolerates certain foods and uses nutrients. Our registered dietitians specialize in cancer nutrition and are here to help.
Learn more about oncology nutrition.
- Integrative medicine offers an excellent complement to conventional medicine to help patients achieve optimal health. Programs and services include acupuncture, chiropractic medicine, naturopathy, therapeutic massage and more.
Learn more about integrative medicine.
- Palliative care is a type of health care that focuses on improving your physical, emotional and spiritual health while you receive cancer treatment giving special attention to relieving pain and other distressing symptoms.
Learn more about palliative care.
- Cancer rehabilitation combines evidence-based cancer rehabilitation practices with services to address side effects and symptoms. The result is our patients recover their energy, well-being and quality of life more completely and quickly.
Learn more about cancer rehabilitation.
In addition to providing expert cancer care, Providence Cancer Institute provides an extra dimension of care through our many support services and cancer resources.
- Support groups provide education and support for cancer patients and their loved ones. Support groups are led by our professional staff and are offered as a free service to any person with cancer in our community.
- Peer support is offered by trained volunteers who provide one-on-one peer support for patients with cancer and/or their caregivers. It is an opportunity to talk about your fears or concerns with someone who comes from a place of understanding your journey.
Learn more about support groups and peer support.
- The Living Well Guide is designed to provide our patients with one reference for all contact numbers, support services and self-care information.
- The Living Well Through Cancer Treatment and Beyond Video Series will give you information, support and hope. Each video features patients who share their stories and experiences with helpful advice from cancer care experts.
Learn more about Living Well Guide & video series.
Both the Living Well Guide and the video series are available in several languages.
- Financial resources
- Guest housing
- Lending libraries
- Rehabilitation services
- Transportation resources
- Wellness classes
- Screening and prevention
Providence Cancer Institute of Oregon
We're Transforming Cancer Care
The Providence Cancer Institute is the leading provider of cancer care in Oregon committed to making a positive difference in every life we touch. Our patients are at the center of everything we do.