Behavioral Health Inpatient Services
St. Joseph Hospital Orange
As part of our Behavioral Health Services, individuals who require 24-hour treatment for psychiatric problems and/or issues with chemical dependency can find help from St. Joseph Hospital. With a full range of psychiatric services, our program offers inpatient treatment for individuals 18 years or older.
Upon admission, caregivers develop a “Plan of Care” personalized to meet a patient’s medical and psychosocial needs. Once treatment is initiated, patients work with their multidisciplinary team through:
- Medical supervision
- Medication management
- Patient education
- Psychiatric treatment
- Treatment for substance dependence
Individual, group and family therapy is also part of treatment. To help ensure a smooth transition back home or in continuing outpatient treatment, we provide comprehensive aftercare planning, with referrals to the appropriate community services.
Patients may be admitted voluntarily or involuntarily. If a patient is a danger to self, a danger to others or is gravely disabled, involuntary admission may occur.
Individuals who are considered for inpatient treatment assessments include those who:
- Actively exhibit symptoms of major mental illness
- Including depression and psychotic thinking
- Plan to harm themselves or others
- Are incapable of performing functions required to care for themselves due to mental illness
The Inpatient unit provides treatment for a variety of behavioral treatment needs, including:
- Psychiatric diagnoses
- Medically supervised detoxification from alcohol or other chemical dependence
- Co-occurring (Dual Diagnosis) treatment for individuals with both a behavioral and chemical dependency diagnoses
- Eating Disorders assessment for treatment and referral
- Treatment for individuals on a 5150 involuntary hold due to danger to self, danger to others or grave disability
- Medical and Neurological evaluation as required through the assessment process