Know me. Care for me. Ease my Way.
Each year, more than 100 caring individuals from our community volunteer more than 12,000 hours, carrying out the Vision Statement of Providence St. Mary Medical Center. As a non-profit hospital, we rely on the service of volunteers to provide our patients and visitors with compassionate service and a personal touch—to know patients, to care for patients and to ease their way.
Providence offers many diverse volunteer opportunities involving patient contact, clerical, retail, spiritual care and a special summer volunteer program for high school students.
Volunteer will offer comfort items to patients, including blankets, pillows and magazines; place the call light, remote, telephone and other needed items within reach; visit with patients; and assist nursing staff with errands and other duties.
Volunteer will provide support by stocking supplies, running errands and assisting with turning over rooms and miscellaneous clerical projects.
Volunteers will provide a welcoming space for patients or visitors to purchase items, stock shelves, clean and straighten displays, operate the cash register and perform store opening and closing procedures.
- Cancer Center
- Cancer Resource Center
- Cardiac Rehab
- Patient Experience Ambassador
- Pet Therapy
- Spiritual Care
- Complete the Volunteer Application and background check forms
- Volunteer Services will contact you to set up a time to interview and turn in your paperwork
- Volunteer Services will notify you with results of interview. If you are being considered for a position, background checks will need to be run. This can take 5 to 10 business days. You will be notified once your background checks are completed and advised of next steps.
- Attend Volunteer Orientation (held once monthly)
- Follow the steps discussed during Volunteer Orientation to get your TB Skin Test (required)
- Volunteer Services will contact you with details for departmental training
The volunteer application process takes six to eight weeks. We ask for a six-month commitment and a minimum of one four-hour shift per week for all volunteers.
Providence St. Mary Medical Center is very excited to offer a dynamic service-learning opportunity for students in the community.
- The 2021 Student Summer Volunteer Program will take place June 14 - August 20 and will require 50 hours of volunteer service.
- This nine-week commitment includes a volunteer assignment in a hospital or clinic setting.
- All Student volunteers are expected to be available for either the Mon - Fri: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. or 12 p.m. - 4 p.m. shift. Volunteers may take only two weeks of vacation time during the program and they must complete their hours.
- We will also offer a unique opportunity for you to meet our caregivers and learn more about their careers. This event is available exclusively to program participants.
- Advance our Mission of caring for the poor and vulnerable through volunteer service.
- Sharpen your practical problem-solving skills within your volunteer position while receiving supportive mentoring from staff.
- Practice key communication skills in a diverse environment comprised of patients, family members, visitors and staff from a variety of socio-economic backgrounds.
- Increase your understanding of the health care field as an exciting and rewarding career path.
- Interested students between the ages of 16 and 25 are eligible to apply. Download and complete our online application form and return it to us by April 25. Acceptance and denial letters will be sent out by April 30.
- All applicants selected into the program and parents must be able to attend a mandatory Meet and Greet the evening of May 4.
- All applicants selected into the program must attend a half-day orientation on June 14.
- All accepted students must meet all onboarding requirements by June 5. Details will be discussed during the Meet and Greet.
- All students accepted into the program will receive their schedule for training by June 14.
- Students must be available for training at least two or three days the week of June 14.
We offer flexibility with program start and end times to accommodate differing school year schedules. Please call Patti Lennartson, 509-897-2072, to discuss earlier program start/end times.