The Providence Cancer Center patient navigators and BP Cancer Resource Center help you access all cancer care services, understand your diagnosis and treatment and work with your health insurance and the health care system.
We provide support for you and your family throughout your cancer care, to ease the stress that comes with a cancer diagnosis.
Our patient navigators are committed to empowering you to live well by giving you compassion, education, resources and hope. Services include:
- Assistance making informed decisions about treatment options
- Coordination with your doctors and nurses to improve your care
- Help overcoming any barriers to care
- Information on travel, lodging and community support resources
- Referrals to cancer doctors
Patient navigators are available to help you and your family manage any type of cancer diagnosis.
Located in the Cancer Center lobby and funded by a generous donation from BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc., the BP Cancer Resource Center offers a quiet and comfortable place for you, your family and your caregivers to find information, access the internet and talk with patient navigators and volunteers.
The center provides the latest information on:
- Clinical trials
- Local resources for support groups
- Transportation services
Your patient navigator will connect you with the services you need, from cancer specialists to financial counselors. Options include:
- American Cancer Society Navigator — An additional resource from the American Cancer Society.
- Breast cancer nurse navigator — Helps reduce confusion and stress, freeing you to make informed choices with your doctors, focus on your treatment goals and obtain timely access to other support services.
- Clinical dietitian — Our dietitians are trained in oncology nutrition to help you with nutrition and dietary concerns during and after cancer therapy.
- Drug cost recovery — If you are uninsured, our financial advisors can help you receive certain chemotherapy drugs free of charge if you get chemotherapy treatments at our infusion center.
- Financial counselor — We guide you in applying for financial assistance from Providence, state and federal programs. We also give you cost estimates for your cancer treatments at Providence.
- Genetic counselor — If you have concerns about your family history of cancer, inherited cancer risk and testing options, our genetic counselors provide genetic testing and answers to your questions.
- Nurses — Our nurses guide you and your family through the health care system, facilitating access to diagnostic and treatment procedures, providing cancer education, information about living well with a cancer diagnosis and survivorship.
- Social workers — Our social workers connect you with resources, services and support to reduce stress and improve your coping skills through all phases of your cancer journey. You and your family also can receive counseling from our social workers.
- Spiritual care — Our oncology chaplains provide spiritual care for you and your family throughout your cancer care.